A Conversation for Handy Latin Phrases

A correction

Post 1

Cheerful Dragon

The list gives 'Non illegitamus carborundum' as 'Don't let the b*****ds grind you down'. This is *not* correct Latin; for one thing, illegitamus would be 'b*****d' - if the word existed, which it doesn't. The phrase would then be 'Non *illegitami* carborundum'. But then, 'carborundum' doesn't mean 'grind you down'. This phrase strings together some words that *look* Latin, but aren't.

In his 'Complete Latin for All Occasions', Henry Beard gives the Latin as 'Noli nothis permittere te terrere.' However, 'terrere' means 'to frighten', so I prefer 'Noli nothis permittere te vexare'. (Vexare means 'to grind' in the sense of 'to oppress'. My Latin dictionary says so! smiley - bigeyessmiley - geek )

A correction

Post 2

Gardener

As you look expert enough in Latin , would you mind helping me to explain what things precede words in 'Victoria -Concordia' saying. I tried to force it into conversation and after failing it felt very cheap.

A correction

Post 3

Cheerful Dragon

Based on a web search, you're best advised to drop 'victoria concordia' into a conversation with an Arsenal F.C. fan. It's part of their team's motto - 'Victoria concordia crescit', which means 'victory grows from harmony'. Other than that, I don't know of any quotations that use the words 'victoria concordia'. Just bear in mind that they mean 'victory' and 'harmony' respectively, and you should be able to make something up - provided that you know more than a little Latin.

A correction

Post 4

Gardener

Thank you for help. But there appears to be another form of this saying something like "Victoria is there where concordia is",which I meant.The trouble is that I know nothing of Latin , so It is like a blind reckoning in a sea of fixed phrases. this Guide Entry provides loads of them for me ...

A correction

Post 5

Danno Ulpius

That looks to me just like a fancier way of translating "Victoria concordia crescit." It's the same idea, really... Victory grows from Harmony... where there's Harmony, Victory will grow from it...
Ja?

A correction

Post 6

Researcher 225946

Hi,

This Latin Joke dates from at least my father's time (I'm 56); it only works if you know something about Engineering or Applied Sciences.

Carborundum is a trademark used for an abrasive of silicon carbide crystals. The Carborundum Company make grinding wheels.

The 'joke' was used by graduate engineers who will have learned Latin at school during the time when Latin was a required subject for a well rounded education and was thus required by many Universities; even for Science and Engineering courses!

Also from the same time, though less profession specific, is:-

"Excreta tori cerebrum vincit" (some say 'confusit')

"Bullshit baffles brains"

Mike Madry

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more