A Conversation for Galileo Galilei - Astronomer

Yark

Post 1

JT

Hello, all -- just a quick note or two:

"On a happier note, Galileo's excommunication by the Catholic Church was even-more-recently repealed, ending his eternity of pain and torment to a meager 350 years or so." Perhaps it's not perfect English, but, ". . . ending his eternity of pain and torment _at_ a meager . . ." seems a _bit_ less wrong.

And since I am am merely an author, not an illustrious editor, I'd like to point out here in the forum that my pique has been surprisingly redirected; the original phrasing of the line, ". . . because he challenged the authority of the Catholic Church . . ." was, ". . . because it's fun to belittle the judgements of the Catholic Church . . ." This comment, in context, poked a bit of fun at those who whink it's a blast to deride Catholocism -- i.e. a small (but vocal) segment of Guide researchers. Ah well. Belgium on that. smiley - winkeye

JT

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more