A Conversation for lastminute.com

Commercial

Post 1

Jimi X

Are they "lastminute.com" the first commercial advertiser for h2g2?

Commercial

Post 2

Mark Moxon

Could be...

Commercial

Post 3

Jimi X

Aren't you supposed to be busy or something? smiley - winkeye

Commercial

Post 4

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

It's rather sad that DNA never gets onto H2G2, and even sadder that when he does, he only has time to write commercials. An incredibly well written commercial, I will grant you. If I had a spontaneous urge to grab a flight to Malibu I'd be right on that websight, but it's still rather disappointing...

Commercial

Post 5

Researcher 93445

Sad indeed. I do think I've seen the lastminute.com banner enough times to have noticed it without the advertisement. Oh well, it's a free net...and I'll just move along to another topic now. I do recognize that someone has to pay for this little playroom of ours, and advertisers are the obvious choice, but it still rankles.

Commercial

Post 6

Well, you'd think that the lastminute.com people'd be willing to make the donation just for the banner... and if someone needed to write an ad... why DNA?

Commercial

Post 7

Global Village Idiot

I'd suspect that the reason for the entry is that some people don't have graphical browsers and may be missing out on the delights offered by the banner ad, like a week half-board in Sri Lanka for only £499 (well, maybe they'll give me one free if I plug them enough!).

As for DNA writing anything, I'd rather he got on with Salmon of Doubt or the Guide Movie screenplay (and so, probably, would his publishers/producers) smiley - winkeye

Commercial

Post 8

Mark Moxon

Wait and see. All will be revealed soon... there's a lot more to this than one article by DNA.

Commercial

Post 9

Jimi X

And if Mark tells you any more, he'll have to kill you...
It's in his contract with TDV that he's allowed to do that! smiley - winkeye

Commercial

Post 10

what you know as km

Mark, did they test your cryptic commenting skills before they hired you, or are you coincidentally infuriating? smiley - winkeye

Commercial

Post 11

Look at the man's name, for crying out loud, it alliterates! Mark Moxon! Do you really think that someone with an alliterative name needs to be tested on his cryptic commenting? It's a given!

Commercial

Post 12

Researcher 93445

OK, it's time to admit my deepest shame: I can't look at our esteemed editor's name without thinking of "moxie" (which is either a personality trait or an obsolete soft drink). This makes life rather confusing at times.

Commercial

Post 13

Peta

Possibly ... smiley - winkeye

Commercial

Post 14

Spartus

Ohmegoodness, I see where this is going now. Neat! smiley - smiley

Commercial

Post 15

Uh... where is this going?

Commercial

Post 16

Spartus

Well, let's look at it--the Guide to everything (well, not yet, but you know) is teaming up with a travel-type company. Take into account the new focus on Official Entries on different cities around the world, and, well, a roving editor...

Makes sense to me... smiley - winkeye

Commercial

Post 17

Are you saying that our cryptic MM is trying to get free tickets?

Commercial

Post 18

Jimi X

Don't ask Irv! If he tells you....

And you seem like a good enough person that I'd hate to bury you. That's another assignment these h2g2 Towers people have given to the Subbies - bury the dead after MM starts telling people what's really going on! smiley - winkeye

Commercial

Post 19

Researcher 93445

As long as they don't forget the little people when they start globe-hopping...just remember, if you're going to be writing articles about five-star hotels in Bangkok you really ought to write about foot rot in the Amazon as well, just for balance...

Commercial

Post 20

The Cow

Some questions:

why does DNA use another user page?
why is it approved? Does -everything- he writes automatically get the rubber stamp? It's annoying... why should DNAs ad be higher up than my really amazing article on something really important?
(ok, I know it's him homepage, but...)

Key: Complain about this post