A Conversation for Tibet

Tibet? A country?

Post 1

lleeii

Oh my Godess! Tibet is simply part of China and from where did you get that idea it is a country?! This is the most wired thing I have ever heard of!! And besides there is no such thing as invading but the so-called liberating, ah, for this, I am not sure myself!
But Tibet sure is a mysterious place and there lies the haunting power...

Tibet? A country?

Post 2

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Hi, lleeii. Certainly Tibet was a country, until it was invaded by the People's Republic of China, even though there was a long and complex relationship between the Manchu emperors and Tibet.

Mao's so-called "peaceful liberation" of Tibet resulted in the deaths of many thousands of people, though many more died after they were "liberated"... as did many innocent people in China.

JTG

Tibet? A country?

Post 3

lleeii

But a whole lot of people died when the British wanted to make it their colony!! Tibet is OK to be part of China, the cultures are well preserved there! Besides have you ever thought of what will become of that land if it is left out all alone at the foot of Himalaya?!

Haa, I might visit there next summer smiley - smiley...

Tibet? A country?

Post 4

The 1904 British trade expedition to Tibet can't be compared to the invasion by the PLA, either in scale or the cost in human lives. Even so, Younghusband was rebuked in Britain for fighting his way to Lhasa. And Younghusband did leave when his business there was done. The PLA are still there.

Maybe Tibet is "OK to be part of China". All that the Dalai Lama is asking for is that China respects Tibet's culture and treat the people fairly. But if Tibetans are really a part of China, why are they treated so poorly by Beijing?

I have thought of Tibet being left alone; although I think "left in peace" is a better way of putting it.

I hope you do visit Tibet and have the opportunity to talk with Tibetans.

JTG smiley - smiley

Tibet? A country?

Post 5

yanqing

Yes,I do believe that the "trade expedition" can't be compared to the "peaceful liberation".Because the latter is good for more people,upgrade more people's life!

Tibet? A country?

Post 6

yanqing

The only diffrence is white just focus on the rich and themselves....

Tibet? A country?

Post 7

There was nothing peaceful about the so-called peaceful liberation. Nor is there anything altruistic about it.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more