A Conversation for Tibet

For the record

Post 1

Gaurav

In this article, the researcher uses the term "Mahayana" Buddhism. There are actually two types of Buddhism -
1. Hinayana Buddhism (literally, 'the lower vehicle') : This is the more orthodox form. The people who believe in this system belive in what Buddha said ... there is no God, the path to nirvana is through self-enlightenment, the middle path, etc.
2. Mahayana Buddhism (literally, 'the greater vehicle') : This is what happened when Buddhism met Hinduism. These people believe that Buddha is a god, or at least a semi-god - he gained enligntenment, had to spend many lifetimes on Earth, usually as a wise animal, to gain it.

A few differences -
-- Hinayana Buddhists NEVER sculpt Buddha ... he is represented as an umbrella, a throne, slippers, ANYTHING, but now him ... Mahayana Buddhists sculpt him.

-- Mahayana Buddhism is more well known ... with a semi-God, it's got more missionary zeal than the more contemplative Hinayana ...


For the record

Post 2

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Hi thank for your comments. Sorry I didn''t respond sooner.

Your description of the great vehicle is a rather uncharitable one. Theraveda (Hinayana) vehicle focuses on monastic study of the teachings of buddha as they were recorded after his death. There were no written records made during his lifetime. The rise of the Mahayana vehicle came in response to a need to make the core philosophy of buddha's teachings accessible to lay people. Thus the essential component of the Greater Vehicle is compassion. It is inaccurate to say that buddha is considered to be a god by either, though the belief in the cycle of death and rebirth (samsara) is common to both. Neither are noted for their missionary zeal.

It is true that the element of mysticism is a stronger component of Mahayana buddhism. Bodhisattvas and local deities of the various cultures influenced by Mahayana buddhism are an important part of the cosmos and the cultural context into which the historical buddha was born. This is perfectly consistent with his teachings.

Buddha in art is iconographic however he is portrayed. His image is not the literal object of worship.

Buddhist practice has been evolving for more than two and a half millennia. It's an exceedingly rich, varied, and complex topic.smiley - smiley

JTG


For the record

Post 3

Gaurav

yeah, but if i recall correctly (and i may NOT, so ... smiley - smiley ) buddhist art started out iconographic, with slippers, crowns, umbrellas representing Buddha, but then became literal, with statues, etc.

Oh, and thanks for the other info on buddhism ... you've got to realise that most of this information was stuffed into me in the 8th std in dry textbooks ......

"We don't need no education .... "
"All you teachers, leave us kids alone!!!"

all in all, it IS just another brick in the wall ...


For the record

Post 4

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

But as bricks go, it's not a bad one.smiley - winkeye

JTG


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more