This is the Message Centre for Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Whats in a nickname?

Post 1

Olli

Mirabillis? as in ICQ?

Whats in a nickname?

Post 2

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Arrghhh...I get that a lot lately. No, it's Mirabilis as in "strange." I had a friend who was obsessed with Latin.

Whats in a nickname?

Post 3

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

I believe that there's plenty in any nickname...
Yours for instance seems to imply that you're not loved, and unhappy about it. A nickname tells us how someone want us to view them. Or how they are viewed in general by people who gave them that nickname.
(Well so much for a discussion smiley - smiley )

Mirabilis makes ME wonder too .

Whats in a nickname?

Post 4

>>A nickname tells us how someone want us to view them. Or how they are viewed in general by people who gave them that nickname.<<

In my case a bit of both: the name means "strange she-wolf," which almost makes me think the person who gave it to me knew me a little better than I would have thought....smiley - winkeye

Whats in a nickname?

Post 5

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

>>In my case a bit of both: the name means "strange she-wolf,"<<

Hmmm, wonder what THAT would mean exactly smiley - winkeye

>>which almost makes me think the person who gave it to me knew me a little better than I would have thought.... <<

That would only make sense, I believe, if that person was a "Lupo Mirabilis" smiley - winkeye)

Whats in a nickname?

Post 6

Well, he was a "mirabilis," all right, but I wouldn't call him a "lupo"...and as for anything else you might or might not have intended to imply with that knowing(?) wink: no, definitely not. Not that he wasn't a cool guy.

Whats in a nickname?

Post 7

K'lara

Now I had no problem with your name. Two years of Latin in high school will do that to you. You'd be amazed by what it is you do remember....lupa isn't the word for me, though. I think I'd just be plain old Filia Mirablis smiley - smiley

Whats in a nickname?

Post 8

K'lara

Oops! smiley - sadface
Not my day for spelling. I seem to have lost an 'I'. Mirabilis.

Whats in a nickname?

Post 9

>>Well, he was a "mirabilis," all right, but I wouldn't call him a "lupo"...<<

Ok, that kinda dismisses your ex-boyfriend smiley - winkeye

>>and as for anything else you might or might not have intended to imply with that knowing(?) wink: no, definitely not. Not that he wasn't a cool guy.<<

Ghegheghe: what are you taking me for? I wouldn't dare implying anything. However, your response certainly is explanatory! smiley - smiley

Whats in a nickname?

Post 10

x1692

Strange daughter? where would one pick up a name such as that?
I personaly say that a nickname gives one a small window to anouther's creativity (or un as the case sometimes is ). It also lets one see the side of her/his persona that the person activly wants viewed online alone with only what you wish to be called, you start a new. Nobodies body can see your face and your intelligence is brought forth. but then again you could just eat worms...( classic line )

Whats in a nickname?

Post 11

Olli

Wow thats the first time my inadequate knowledge of Latin has provoked an interesting discussion

Whats in a nickname?

Post 12

K'lara

smiley - smiley You'd have to meet my family....Because I can think for myself, and do, they think I'm a black sheep....

Whats in a nickname?

Post 13

>>Wow thats the first time my inadequate knowledge of Latin has provoked an interesting discussion<<

Wouldn't you rather say "INvoked an interesting discussion" ??
To PROvoke it sounds so... well, er... provocative smiley - winkeye

Whats in a nickname?

Post 14

Olli

>>Arrghhh...I get that a lot lately<<

well I think I did provoke Lupa smiley - winkeye

Whats in a nickname?

Post 15

How come? Did she bite? smiley - winkeye

Whats in a nickname?

Post 16

Filia of whom or what? smiley - winkeye

Whats in a nickname?

Post 17

>>Ok, that kinda dismisses your ex-boyfriend<<

Not necessarily. I don't like to restrict myself tooooo much--once I dated a "leo."

>>Ghegheghe: what are you taking me for? I wouldn't dare implying anything.<<

Silly me. smiley - bigeyes

>>However, your response certainly is explanatory!<<

For a change. Generally I like to be obtuse. Aaaack...H2G2 is changing me already....

Whats in a nickname?

Post 18

Not yet. I haven't quite figured out how to manage that over the Net. smiley - winkeye

Whats in a nickname?

Post 19

Well, there's gotta be a first time for everything. Personally I think just about anything can provoke an interesting discussion under the right circumstances. smiley - winkeye

Whats in a nickname?

Post 20

Or else you would have tried? smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more