A Conversation for How to Prevent Computer Obsolescence

other uses for old pcs

Post 1

Researcher jaw25yo

As my interest in computers went on i found a way of giving new life to my old p133. I wanted to use a CD writer, TV card, surround sound system and so fourth, i found i needed to upgrade the whole system. Sincd the P133 was still in full working order i gave it to a friend of mine who has two children (aged 5 and 3) installed some education software on it. Lo and behold, a computer for kids! As it's second hand, the perents don't have to worry that much if, say the child put in a chocky biccy in the CD ROM drive or anything else for that matter, and if they want to use the internet on it as well it is well up for the task. So even if your old PC is surpless to YOUR reqirements, find someone who can use it.

other uses for old pcs

Post 2

Jimmy in Enzed

I collect "old" PCs from large organizations and IT outsourcers and recycle them back into the community through schools.
These "old" PCs are generally less than 4 years old, the last batch were Pentium 266s and are usually in good condition. I pick them up, make sure they're working, load some open source software and install them in Primary School classrooms. The kids get ready access to a computer and learn keyboard/mouse skills, the company supplying them gets a tax break and a bit of recognition from the community and I get the warm fuzzies. Everbody wins and it doesn't cost anybody a cent.
I'm progressing this project to include supplying old PCs to disadvantaged kids for use at home. A few might end up in second hand shops but I'm sure the vast majority will be used responsibly and they may give Mum and Dad a chance to learn how to use a computer as well.

other uses for old pcs

Post 3

Nick Fel

Good on you! We went for the best part of a year with no computers in our sixth form common room after the old ones broke (mostly due to abuse from certain students), because the school couldn't afford to replace them. That is until a local PA office donated old computers to us. They were pretty old, probably only 133 or 266Mhz as well, but they worked well enough to check your email at break.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more