This is the Message Centre for Munchkin

Blimmin' Car!

Post 1

Munchkin

So, myself and Toc fancied buying a car. And none of your Euro boxes neither. I had my heart set on an MG, preferably a B, and Toc soon agreed. We went to a number of car shows over the summer and checked out the styles and condition of various cars to give us an indication.
We then found a nearby friendly MG garage that promised to keep an eye out for a good deal for us and a couple of dealers in town.
So, we happily trogged up to London and checked out a dealers showroom. They had some nice looking cars and one in particular that caught our eye. We gave it a quick once over and then asked to get it checked out by the local garage, who agreed to check the mechanics for us. And I am so glad we did as it turned out the thing was rotten underneath. The sills were gone, a jackpoint had collapsed and there was rust under the paint, just to begin with. So we sent them packing and went back to lazily looking around, as to be in a rush about this sort of thing was just asking for trouble.
So it was that a couple of weeks ago our friendly garage rang to say that they had heard of a car going, in lovely condition and in our price range. So we decided, if they thought it was good we would book it straight in for the mechanical check, as I don't know enough at the moment to do more than check it has four wheels. I turned up last Thursday and saw a beauty of a car. Barely a scratch on it and it ran sweet as a nut. So I talked to the owner, who seemed a bit reluctant to see it go, but MGs do that to you, and agreed to phone her in the morning after a think about price.
I phoned her next morning and tried to bargain, as everyone had instructed me ("No one expects to get the asking price") but had no joy. If I didn't offer what she wanted it was no sale. Her price was not unreasonable, so we agreed on it and arranged a handover. Then, on Saturday morning, she phoned me to say that she had decided, having learned from the garage on Thursday how nice a car it was, that she wasn't going to sell it after all. smiley - grr I said that I still wanted it, and I knew that she was supposed to be getting something else to replace it, and could she think about it while away for the weekend. And lo, she did phone me this morning to say that she had now seen something else she would like to buy, and if she could get it she "might" be interested in selling me her car again.
So I have, rather testily, told her to go away, decide what she is doing with the vehicle and then let me know, definately. I'd still like the car, but I don't want to be left hanging around while she umms and ahhs. Well, will see what she decides, but I have already heard of another possibility, so she had better decide soon.
smiley - grr

Blimmin' Car!

Post 2

Toccata

smiley - yikes

I mustn't get too excited smiley - sadface

Told you she'd call smiley - winkeye

Blimmin' Car!

Post 3

Munchkin

Yeh, but she only said she "might" be selling, provided she can get this rebuilt one she is looking at (its a full rebuild, to modern specs and hence she hopes will keep her family happy). Hence why I told her to go find out and come back when she has "finally" decided. She reckoned tomorrow. Its the tantalising maybe that is annoying me. Either yea or nay!

Blimmin' Car!

Post 4

Toccata

Well, if she say yes tomorrow, let me know, and we go round sat am sharpish with a draft. no chance to change mind, and it woill be weeks b4 we get time again smiley - cross

Blimmin' Car!

Post 5

Munchkin

She said nay. Obviously her husband texted her back from New Zealand at two in the morning to say that no, she couldn't spend all that money on a brand new one. This being exactly why I got peeved at her when she phoned the first time.
Ah well, always the Southampton one. smiley - smiley

Blimmin' Car!

Post 6

Toccata

Blooming woman! smiley - steam

Damask red was a nice colour smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Munchkin

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more