A Conversation for Weather wisdom

Add your wisdom here

Post 1

Jimi X

Thanks for stopping by! smiley - smiley Please add your weather 'wisdom' below...

Add your wisdom here

Post 2

Is mise Duncan

Its a bit Dublin specific but I heard this on the tour bus:
"If you can see Howth Head from here, it's going to rain. If you can't, it is raining" smiley - winkeye

You know it's going to rain...

Post 3

Rossi

...when the cows are all lying down in a field instead of standing up.

(This is probably some old wive's tale but I heard it throughout my childhood in Missouri)

Another weather predictor:

Red skies at morning; Sailors take warning. Red skies at night, sailor's delight. (I guess that's supposed to mean that sailors are only happy when the weather is good)

smiley - smiley

Add your wisdom here

Post 4

Demon Drawer

Darn it must be raining here in Belfast even though there's not a cloud in the sky. I always knew there was something wrong with the Irish weather.

Post 5

Jimi X

DJ - Thanks! That one is added.

Rossi - Thanks! But I've already got those in the entry. Do you have any others?

Post 6

Demon Drawer

Similar to Duncan's but from the east coast of Northern Ireland.

If you can see Scotland, it's about to rain, if you can't it's raining.

Plus as a weather indicator. When cows are lying down in a field it'll remain fine, once they stand up rain is on it's way.

Post 7

Mike A (snowblind)

Here's a weather thing that get passed around despite being untrue:
Swans flying into the wind mean a hurricane doth come.

And here a some slightly more reliable ones:
Cockrels and male mistlethrushes sing when a thunderstorm approaches.
The Scarlet Pimpernel (a flower apparently) closes its petals when rain's about to come.
Swallows fly high when winds are light. So when they start flying low, storms a-coming!
Worms plug the entrances to their holes when it gets cold

Admittedly, the worms one (and the cricket one already up there) are just telling you what you'll already know.

That thing about red skies for sailors, I always thought it was for shepards...

Post 8

n_sani_t

Some people can literally smell a rain before it arrives. You know that smell right after a really heavy rain? Some people (myself included) can smell it 10 minutes or so before a rain arrives. I was called crazy (and sometimes lucky) because of my preditictions by a friend until he learned to smell it himself...it's a very faint smell.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more