This is the Message Centre for Mustapha

Hi Mustapha

Post 1

Bumblebee

I know it's totally irrational, but I had to check if you are ok.... Even if you're as far away from the site of disaster as possible.
It's probably because they sendt programmes about the Maori and New Zealand nature in between the news on the telly all night last night. How are Taranaki taking the news?

Hi Mustapha

Post 2

Mustapha

Shocked and stunned, as is most of the world. The majority think and feel as most Americans do, though naturally there are one or two people who think the US has only itself to blame. Fortunately these are not the sort of people who command any sort of audience in the community.

One of the side-effects is for those of us in the journalism trade, no matter how far removed we are, comes from watching the intense energy of our American counterparts. Tirelessly trying to get the story, trying to keep detached enough to tell the story straight, but retain that tiny bit of emotion to maintain the humanity in the telling. All that energy infected the brains of the local journos, prompted us to go out and get stories on this subject, anything we could find.

The Daily News went nuts yesterday, not only dumping their first printing to get the story on the front page, but bringing out a midday edition. Which they've never done. They went and blew it this morning by spending most of the local follow-up story patting themselves on the back and telling everyone how great they are.

I was not immune from the mania. I spent most of yesterday (when I wasn't glued in front of the tv set) and even more of today ringing around local industry to get someone to tell me if this would affect their trade. I felt very wired and frustrated after work yesterday. Especially since my mobile decided to go on the fritz.

But now, I'm feeling ok - I had a fairly good round up of "local impact" stories today.

So I'm fine, thank you. smiley - hug

How are you? And how is Bergen?

Hi Mustapha

Post 3

Bumblebee

Yesterday I went around with a lump in my throat all day. Listened to the radio until I was completely emotional exhausted. smiley - cry Doesn't help much that I'm fairly stressed from before. (Halfyear report not finished yet, and I'm off on holiday this Sunday, trying to finish the redecoration at home and making dinner and washing clothes and packing in complete chaos...!)

All the flaggs are flying half mast in Bergen (everywhere in Norway actually..) People are shocked and scared. Some are scared for flying and some because our involvement in Nato may make us a target too. The schools cancelled their schedules and talked with the children/youths about this. We talked about who could have done it, during lunch. We didn't come to any conclutions....
----
And just now a courier delivered the upgrade program for my accounting software, with new and improved screw-ups.... Great.smiley - erm

Hi Mustapha

Post 4

Mustapha

smiley - smiley

Here's my bulletin for the day. Notable for the length of the first story (stories) and for the number of times I use the word 'effects'... an aberrant moment for my part.

In the aftermath of yesterday's events in the US, Taranaki industry is waiting to see how it will affect the world economy.

The Chair of the Taranaki Chamber of Commerce says some of the effects are being felt right now. John Rae says funds invested offshore can't be withdrawn and the markets will definitely feel it. A big fear is that investors will panic and pull out, causing share prices to slide. Mr Rae is encouraging investors not to pull the pin and ride the storm. As for exporters, Mr Rae believes any effects felt here will be short term, not long term. He say the American economy is a pretty powerful machine and the Americans very resilient.

Kiwi Dairies CEO Greg Gent says there will be little impact to their sales in the US. Mr Gent says New Zealand sales consist of a very modest volume because of trade tariffs. However he says it will be the American economy itself that will have any effect on Kiwi. Mr Gent says the issue for Kiwi is the effect that this will have on the US economy and any ripple effects across the world. Mr Gent also believes the United States will do all it can to mitigate the economic damage.

The CEO of Riverlands Eltham is adopting a wait-and-see approach to the matter. Trevor Johnston believes it's a bit early yet to see what will happen. Mr Johnston believes this because offices in the States have shut down and people sent home. He says they should know something by the end of the week.

Port Taranaki CEO Roy Weaver says there will be no immediate effects to shipping through the port. However Mr Weaver believes there will be some effects down stream depending on what happens over the next few weeks or months. Yesterday ships were not permitted to leave the United States for security reasons. Mr Weaver says the entire country was effectively cordonned off to prevent the perpetrators leaving. Otherwise it's business as usual at the Port. Mr Weaver says cargo still needs to flow and they must keep an eye on business around the world.

The terrorist attack affected Stateside Taranaki folk whether they were near the danger zone or not.
Musician Julia Darling who's currently in New York was an hour's walk away from the World Trade Centre. Ms Darling said she couldn't hear or see much from where she was in Brooklyn, but the smoke was everywhere. The worse thing she said was the phone jam as people tried to call friends or relatives. She said she wished she was sitting on Fitzroy Beach instead of in New York

Yesterday, Okato Man David Hooker was in Texas well away from the danger. Mr Hooker was cutting corn with a Kiwi crew from the South Island. However he described the situation as madness. He said all the fuel stations had cars backed up 3 or 4 miles, as fuel prices went through the roof. He said even the little towns have all got civil defence things being set up in case it's like World War 3.

Following yesterday's terrorism, the New Plymouth District Council has set up a book of condolences for locals to write messages to the people of the United States. Marketing Manager Rex Moore says they know residents in the district will be sharing their outrage and will want to express their heartfelt sorrow to Americans and others affected.

And turning to the rest of the day's news:

A 39 year old New Plymouth man appeared in the New Plymouth District Court this morning charged with the arsons of two churches. These include the Park City Church on Baring Terrace, and the Knox Prebyterian Church in Fitzroy. Both churches were attacked in April earlier this year.

Thieves have targeted the Taranaki Naturist Club, stripping them of their possessions. Over the past two weekends the Naturist Club, situated on Brown Road, Waitara, was hit by thieves. Two barbecues and a solar panel were stolen. Further attempts were made to steal another solar panel and enter caravans on the property.

And finally turning to tomorrow's weather. Friday can expect fine weather with some cloudy weather and northeasterly winds gusting up to 20 kilometres an hour. Tonight's low should be around 7 degrees with a high tomorrow of 17.

Hi Mustapha

Post 5

Bumblebee

The stock market reports looks like insane rollercoasters...

The war-profiteurs are up and about, I note! They could at least wait for a war declaration befor they raise the gas prices....

Church burning, eh. The guy who started the trend here in Norway, Varg Vikernes, is still in jail for murdering his band-mate. Stupid sods.smiley - grr I'm not a christian but I hate seeing good buildings destroyed. Especially if they are historical too.

Naturists left without a stitch... Oh dear...smiley - smiley

smiley - tea

Hi Mustapha

Post 6

Mustapha

We didn't have any film clips for that item, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view. smiley - winkeye

On the subject of profiteering, an ex-reporter for the Wellington based Dominion and his mate are raking it in at the moment. They snapped up postcards of the WTC for a nickel a pop and are now selling them for a dollar each or something. A rather dubious success story, I'm sure you'd agree...

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Mustapha

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more