A Conversation for Colours of Wildlife: Verreaux's Eagle

You can't go wrong with eagles

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I remember visiting Rochester with a friend, and she took me to a cliff overlooking a canyon. The eagles and falcons etc. would come out of nowhere, preying on smaller birds.

It's good that we have predatory birds. here in Boston we are overrun with rabbits, and great horned owls should be keeping them in check.

Post 2

Willem

Hello! Is the great horned owl the largest predatory bird you have over there? I think some of your hawks would be able to handle rabbits, especially when they're still small ...

Post 3

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Turkey vultures are huge - and will definitely eat small animals. Whenever they circle at the farm, there's a mad Hoggett scramble to put all the kittens inside.

We've got eagles, too, and hawks. In fact, the bluejays imitate a hawk's cry to scare off the other birds and get the bird feeders to themselves. smiley - laugh

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Turkey_Vulture/overview

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Peregrine falcons were encouraged to nest on the window ledges of some of Boston's high buildings, but our rabbits are on the fringes of the city. The owls can be fond at the Arnold Arboretum, just a couple miles away

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Colours of Wildlife: Verreaux's Eagle

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more