A Conversation for Join the Q: #My200BirdYear 2023 - The Results

Good work

Post 1

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Very nice pictures.

I didn't really try in 2023, so the numbers are low (didn't even count) This year started off better, so maybe I'll go and try to pass 100 birds as well.

Our neighbours have loads of feeders, but also have a cat, so the birds tend to prefer our wild garden. Just threw some seed balls and a bag of peanuts in the bush in front of the kitchen window, attracting all kinds of tits, sparrows, magpies, starlings, jackdaws, pigeons and a Jay.

Good work

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

You have better luck photographing birds than I do.

Good work

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

That is a good collection of garden birds, Caiman smiley - ok

It's not so much luck with photography - more about practice smiley - ok When I set up for eg a garden birdwatch, it takes about 15 minutes for the birds to get comfortable with me and my camera sitting in view of the feeders. Then when the bold birds like bluetits venture out, the less bold birds realise it's safe to grab some food too and I get more photos smiley - ok

Good work

Post 4

Thanks.

We had a small flock of spotted nutcrackers yesterday. All the other birds kept their distance (maybe to do with the Russian boycott). Got pictures of one confused nutcracker because it failed to notice the others had already left and then had to initiate its own navigation. This took some time.

We have a big, dense bush with the top right in front of our (first floor) kitchen window, so I literally have breakfast with the birds. (they seem to also eat from the actual bush)

Good work

Post 5

SashaQ - happysad

I can imagine a flock of spotted nutcrackers was a sight to behold - I looked them up and see they are a bit like starlings in plumage, but bigger than Jays smiley - wow

Yes, it is good that the birds find food in the bushes around the feeders, too smiley - ok Breakfasting with the birds is great - the routine must help them to get used to seeing you, too, so they are less timid (until the camera comes out!)

Good work

Post 6

Given enough peanuts, the tits and sparrows don't care if I take pictures through the glass. As soon as I close the window after replenishing the food, they are back within ten seconds (especially the tits).

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Join the Q: #My200BirdYear 2023 - The Results

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more