A Conversation for Deathlist 2024 Home Page

Deathlist 2024 Game Pick (official) Thread

Post 1

Icy North

[I asked Elon Musk's AI service to write the Deathlist 2024 introduction. It only took 10 seconds - I doubt anyone will notice]

In a shocking turn of events at the prestigious BBC Sports Personality of the Year award show, what was supposed to be an evening celebrating sporting triumphs turned into an unexpected calamity of catastrophic proportions. Hosted by the affable Gary Lineker and the charismatic Gabby Logan, the event was teeming with anticipation until the fateful moment when the main award was to be presented.

The atmosphere crackled with excitement as the audience, filled with sports stars, dignitaries, and millions of viewers worldwide, eagerly awaited the pinnacle of the evening. Gary Lineker, clad in a dapper suit, approached the podium with a glint of mischief in his eyes. As he began his speech, an air of bewilderment swept through the crowd.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! Tonight, we have a surprise in store for you all," Lineker announced with a mischievous grin.

The audience leaned in, expecting a lighthearted jest or a surprise guest. But what followed was beyond anyone's wildest imagination.

"In a stunning twist, we've been keeping a little secret," Lineker continued, his tone taking an unexpected turn. "Tonight was never about celebrating athletes. No, no! It's the grand launch of a new and exhilarating event we like to call... Deathlist!"

Gasps filled the auditorium as an enormous curtain dropped, unveiling a ghastly, black-hued backdrop emblazoned with the stark logo of "Deathlist." Confusion and murmurs of disbelief rippled through the audience. Gabby Logan's shocked expression mirrored the collective astonishment.

Protests erupted from the audience, shouts of indignation rising in a crescendo. "This is outrageous!" cried one athlete. "It's in poor taste!" exclaimed another.

Unperturbed by the uproar, Lineker pressed on, attempting to explain the rules of this ghastly game. However, the audience's tolerance reached its limit, and pandemonium ensued. People surged from their seats, a mass exodus toward the exits, scrambling to escape the macabre turn of events.

The stampede was chaotic, the force of the fleeing audience creating an unforeseen calamity. The studio trembled as the panicked crowd surged, causing the grand set adorned with dazzling lights and towering screens to quiver precariously.

With a deafening crash, the set collapsed, a cacophony of snapping metal and shattering glass echoing through the venue. Lights flickered and smoke billowed as chaos reigned supreme. Gary Lineker and Gabby Logan, amidst the chaos, found themselves clinging to the remnants of the podium, looking bewildered and dazed.

Emergency personnel rushed in to tend to the injured while a disheveled Lineker attempted to regain control. The ill-fated launch of Deathlist had turned the esteemed award ceremony into a disaster of epic proportions.

As the dust settled and the commotion slowly abated, it was evident that this night would go down in history not for celebrating sporting achievements but for an unimaginable calamity born out of a misguided attempt at a morbidly themed spectacle. The BBC Sports Personality of the Year would forever be remembered for an event that spiraled hilariously out of control.

[Oh, and Deathlist 2024 is now open!]

Post 2

Icy North

Deathlist 2023 Review

Congratulations to Coelacanth, Deathlist 2023 winner!

Coelacanth ran away with the 2022 title, but she was made to work for it in 2023, defeating Bluebottle by the smallest of margins. This was Coelacanth's fifth outright victory - a record, overtaking The Groob's four. After a strong finish, Just Bob crept on to the podium, but finished 45 points behind Bluebottle.

On to the 2024 game, the nineteenth h2g2 Deathlist contest. Here are some stats on this year's entries:

Picks:

For the 2024 contest, 13 entrants have selected a total of 157 celebrities, 28 of which were chosen for the first time.

There are 100 men and 57 women on the list, and their average age is 81 years. The oldest picks are Maria Branyas (116), Juan Vincente Perez (114) and John Tinniswood (111). The youngest pick is Paul Aron (19).

The Groob has selected the oldest celebrities, the 15 on his list having an average age of 89 years. At the younger end, Minichessemouse's average is just 68 years.

Sequences:

Four celebrities picked in the 2024 game have remained on the same list for 18 years. All are on Mol's list: Alan Bennett, Michael Barrymore, Pete Doherty and Tom Baker.

Long Time Away:

Alex Ferguson, Bob Newhart, Diana Ross and Donald Sutherland were picked for the first time since 2007. Jimmy Tarbuck (last picked in 2008) has also returned.

Deaths in 2023:

Of the celebrities who died in 2023, 46 had been picked at some time or other in the Deathlist game, and 22 of these were correctly picked in 2023. Of those we missed, the most recent picks were Betty Boothroyd, Bobby Charlton and Joss Ackland (last picked in 2022). Three (Harry Whittington, Jacques Delors and Silvio Berlusconi) had not been picked since 2007.

The 2006 Originals:

A total of 25 celebrities picked in the first Deathlist game in 2006 are still alive, and 12 were picked again this year. One celebrity, Pete Doherty, has been picked in every year since 2006. We lost original Shane MacGowan in 2023.

New Player:

I'm delighted to welcome new player Oblong Fish to Deathlist in 2024. Good luck!

Lifesaver Award

Two players managed the difficult feat of shepherding all fifteen of their celebrities safely through 2023 without losing a single one of them. The coveted Lifesaver Award goes this year to Minichessemouse and Deb.

Other Stats:

Brenda Lee became the 200th musician to be picked in this game, and racing driver Paul Aron became the 100th sportsperson. The largest category of celebrity is actors, with 359 picked so far. Eight actors were picked for the first time in 2024, including Christopher Walken and Angie Dickinson.

Robbie Knievel's death on 13th January 2023 was the first to qualify for the Friday 13th bonus. Unfortunately, he wasn't picked in 2023, so nobody took advantage of the additional 10 points.

And so, as Chat-GPT said, the game is now open. Please post any listed celebrity deaths in 2024 in the thread below.

Homepage: A88042223

Scoreboard: A88024421

Archive: A87874582

smiley - skullsmiley - space Icy

Post 3

Icy North

To report deaths of celebrities not on the list, please use the thread at:

F22176284?thread=8327666

smiley - skullsmiley - spaceIcy

Post 4

coelacanth

I haven't prepared a speech, but thanks again for the organisation Icy!

Happy New Year everyone! smiley - bubbly
smiley - bluefish

Post 5

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Congratulations to coelacanth smiley - bubbly and humongous thanks to Icy for keeping us all afloat in 2023. smiley - cheers

Here's to staying alive in 2024! smiley - chocolateteapot

Post 6

Deb

smiley - applause Congratulations Coelecanth.

And yay to me for getting joint custody of the Lifesaver Award with Minichessemouse smiley - biggrin What a great way of saying "utterly failed to get even one right" smiley - rofl

2023 was my first time and despite the issues with loss of stuff, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks Icy!

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 7

100-year-old Glynis Johns smiley - rose - predicted by Bluebottle, coelacanth, TC

not on the BBC yet so http://abc7.com/glynis-johns-actress-dies-mary-poppins/14274026/

Post 8

Icy North

Glynis Johns stats update:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2024/01/04/glynis-johns-actress-dead-obituary/

Glynis Johns had been picked 14 times in this game, and had been on Coelacanth's list since 2016, scoring points after her ninth consecutive pick. Celebrities don't tend to last long on that particular list, but a few have lasted longer:

Nancy Reagan died in 2016 after her 10th consecutive appearance on Coelacanth's list. Liz Dawn died in 2017 after her 11th, and the current survival record is held by Olivia de Havilland who lasted until her 13th consecutive pick in 2020.

Glynis Johns dropped off The Groob's list for 2024, but was new to Bluebottle's.

Three strong players share the lead.

Home Page and Scoreboard updated:

Homepage: A88042223

Scoreboard: A88024421

Archive: A87874582

smiley - skullsmiley - spaceIcy

Post 9

coelacanth

I didn't realise she'd been on my list so long!
smiley - bluefish

Post 10

Correction Icy - smiley - skull 2024 Scoreboard: A88042232smiley - smiley

Post 11

Icy North

Thanks for the correction, GB! Getting all these links right is difficult! The Archive page has all the correct ones if anything doesn't work.

Hi Coelacanth - I forgot to mention that your current longest living pick is Tippi Hedren (8th year), so she has some way to go to beat the record.

Post 12

Icy North

I also forgot to mention that you have scored the first points of the year a total of 5 times now (a record). You previously did this with Lance Percival (2015), Sheila Sim (2016), Terry Jones (2020) and Adolfo Kaminsky last year.

Post 13

smiley - wow

Post 14

Bald Bloke

Jonnie Irwin: Escape to the Country and A Place in the Sun host dies aged 50

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63760036

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63760036

Points for Bluebottle and Deb

Post 15

Icy North

Deb's first points in Deathlist - congratulations! smiley - applause

Bluebottle takes an early 10-point lead.

Scoreboard updated:

A88042232

Post 16

Bluebottle

Ah. the tradition of my having an early lead before the inevitable strong Coelacanth comeback continues...

<BB<

Post 17

Icy North

Professor Anthony Epstein died on 6th Feb smiley - rose

http://www.wolfson.ox.ac.uk/news/obituary-sir-anthony-epstein-1921-2024

Points to Bald Bloke, who moves into 2nd place.

Homepage updated:

A88042223

Scoreboard updated:

A88042232

Archive:

A87874582

Post 18

Bald Bloke

Seems my list is not having it protective quality this year.

Post 19

Deb

I was really sad to be right on this one smiley - sadface

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 20

Icy North

So, it's been nearly two months without a Deathlist score.

John Tinniswood, who's been on my list for a few years is now officially the World's Oldest Man:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/05/briton-says-becoming-worlds-oldest-man-at-111-is-pure-luck

Key: Complain about this post