A Conversation for Deep Thought: Two Steps Forward, Three Steps Back?

Economic Uncertainty

Post 1

minorvogonpoet

I wonder whether times when extremism flourishes follow hard on from times of economic plight. Think about the thirties, when the great depression preceded Hitler's rise to power. In Britain, the Credit Crunch of 2008 may have given rise to the wave of nationalism that led to the nonsense of Brexit.
At the moment, of course, people are losing their jobs and worrying about the future because of COVID. That suggests the future could be very difficult. smiley - sadface I suppose all you can do is hang on to your own beliefs in liberty and justice.

Economic Uncertainty

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Good point. smiley - smiley

Economic Uncertainty

Post 3

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I have seen comparisons between the storming of the Capitol and the Kristallnacht. I hope things will ease.

Economic Uncertainty

Post 4

minorvogonpoet

I share that hope. smiley - candle

Economic Uncertainty

Post 5

FWR

Whilst we continue to view everyone with a different opinion as 'the enemy', nothing will ever move forward.

Brexit nonsense fuelled by nationalism remarks just prove that. Try to put your own political or ideological bent away, and maybe, just maybe, we can stop taking backwards steps?

The world is a scary place at the moment, throw away comments move us backward, maybe this sounds familiar...

denigrating and alienating those who don't agree with your point of view, mocking decent people, whilst trying to deny the outcome of a democratic vote?

...think before we step backwards and cause further divisions. Unconscious biais comes in many forms!

I may not agree with someone else's politics, religious beliefs etc, but I've put my life on the line to defend your right to hold them!

If we spend our lives looking for conflict, we won't have far to look. Forget perceived differences, and seek common ground, and we may get to walk into the future together.

Economic Uncertainty

Post 6

Willem

No-one on Earth is my enemy ... I really believe we are all one, despite the appearance of so many differences, which is an illusion so many fall for. But what harms one, in some way harms all. So ... we really should think with a global perspective: what things will help people, what things will harm them; what things will help animals and plants, what things will harm them. Many things may help and harm at the same time. Sometimes we can't avoid doing some harm, but I think we should aim for the least harm possible. But the bottom line is, we can certainly do far, far better ...

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Deep Thought: Two Steps Forward, Three Steps Back?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more