A Conversation for Under Glass

Comments: Under Glass

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

DG:

I don't get out much in the winter. One, it keeps snowing. Two, my back has been out. Three, most of what I need to be doing is indoors. But while I was over at Hoggetts', I couldn't pass up the glass thingy Sis uses to protect her baked goods from the cats. I like the thickness of the glass and the way it distorts everything. Also, I thought Tavaron might get a laugh out of 'Mini Stollen'.

It also reminds me of the way my grandmother's china cabinet used to smell. I've got one exactly like it, from the same year, but mine doesn't smell like coconut cake when you open it, because I'm allergic. But the smell was nice. You've heard of 'Gelsenkirchner Barock'? Try 'Hillbilly Chippendale'.

The photography experts need to come back and talk about angles, exposures, and the rule of thirds. Otherwise, you get me maundering on about subject matter...

Post 2

FWR

Christmassy treats under glass, what could be more January?

The lack of scale, the 'mini' label, and what appears to be the rim of a tin can, throws the eye and makes you look further into the photo.

Glass is often very hard to photograph, well done on this one.

Post 3

Thanks! smiley - smiley

Post 4

minorvogonpoet

It makes the 'Mini Stollen' look like some rare scientific discovery.
Or perhaps, a dangerous bomb? smiley - laugh

Post 5

smiley - snork Depends on how many you eat.

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Hmmm. My friend said I should look for the bell jar, but this doesn't look all that depressing

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

This is an intriguing photo - the black and white emphasises the glints of light on the glass, and the distortions are interesting to study smiley - ok

Post 8

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'm usually curious by photos of what might be cake or candy. smiley - drool

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Under Glass

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more