A Conversation for Architectural

Comments: Architectural

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Flat grey sky brings out the detail of the building. Lovely tones in this one Sasha.

Again, focussing on a particular detail gives the impression of age and invites the viewer to ponder on the scale of the building without seeing the whole.

Point of view for architecture shots can alter an image. In this one, holding the camera lower would emphasize the height and make the arches *tower over* the viewer. Try different angles of the same shot and pick the best one that suits what you're trying to show.

Freewayriding

Is this Birkenhead Priory? A striking image, the sharp focus is excellent, you can almost feel the surface of every stone block. A difficult subject to do justice, and you did it.

Well done.

bobstafford

Post 2

cactuscafe

Yes! Just reading here what the geniuses have to say. Very interesting. I think I might follow them around and hope they take photos of me. Hoho

Fascinating pic. To me, the texture is so smooth! Like, a very smooth shiny stone. And yet there's different textures in the stonework and I'm in love with all the windows, the smoothness makes it dreamlike.

If I had a headache, looking at this pic would be like splashing my face with cool waters of a stream. Healing. Its a healing pic. To me. Like.

Thanks Sasha!

Post 3

FWR

I took a picture of the huge cranes and rig towers behind the priory last week, modern spires against the ancient...just have to find where I filed it! Oops

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks everyone smiley - biggrin

Great tip about the camera angle - there is a little bit of 'looming' going on as the windows were higher than I was, but I can imagine how holding the camera even lower would strengthen the effect even more smiley - ok

The Birkenhead Priory/St Mary's Church site is fascinating, being such old buildings nestled amongst the cranes and other signs of modern life...

Post 5

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

As a result I just read a 1957 article on the clearing of the churchyard to make way for a dry dock,which is exactly the contrast between old and (sort of) new you now have.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Architectural

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more