A Conversation for The Great Disappointment of 1844: Millerites and Fake News

The end of the world really is coming, but....

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I like the old joke, which goes "The end of the world really is coming, it's just late everything else."

Take your pick from various problems -- the forthcoming ice age that some worried about in the 1970s and 1980s, the global warming that we worry about now (maybe they'll occur simultaneously and cancel each other out!), the horrendous wars of the 20th Century, hurricanes like Harvey and Irma (Jose if you have contacts in Puerto Rico), superstorms like the one featured in "Geostorm," etc.

Oh, and I forgot about the nuclear end featured in "Alas Babylon" and "On the beach."

I'm taking it a day at a time. They say that God laughs at our plans. I have plans, but I'm keeping them a secret from the Almighty. smiley - winkeye

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Well, er, good luck with that. smiley - laugh

Seriously, though: it's a good point. The fact that number-counters have been wrong before doesn't mean there's nothing to worry about.

Post 3

Point taken. smiley - smiley

There is *always* something to worry about, and quite often it's something I haven't anticipated. smiley - erm

Post 4

FWR

I hadn't anticipated the worry that trying to get down from that tree caused!

Post 5

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - rofl Or that you scared the dog.

Post 6

FWR

smiley - biggrin

Post 7

Maybe it was a dogwood tree.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Great Disappointment of 1844: Millerites and Fake News

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more