A Conversation for The Legend of Tom Bawcock of Mousehole and his Stargazy (Fish Head) Pie

Peer Review: A87818287 - The Legend of Tom Bawcock of Mousehole and his Stargazy (Fish Head) Pie

Post 1

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Entry: The Legend of Tom Bawcock of Mousehole and his Stargazy (Fish Head) Pie - A87818287
Author: Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor - U128652

Serving up something a little different this time. I'm amazed how I got to this - I was actually researching something else - but this story was too good not to share.

Enjoysmiley - redwine

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - diva

A87818287 - The Legend of Tom Bawcock of Mousehole and his Stargazy (Fish Head) Pie

Post 2

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Great fun GB, thanks for sharing this. Star gazing fish---smiley - cool thought. I am afraid I'd give this treat a miss, and DG is allergic to all seafood so it wouldn't become a staple to our diet, but hey I am not as clever a cook as Demelza was, and Lack the pretty red hair as well.

A87818287 - The Legend of Tom Bawcock of Mousehole and his Stargazy (Fish Head) Pie

Post 3

Bluebottle

Excellent!smiley - applause

smiley - hsifsmiley - porkpiesmiley - fish

<BB<

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

I thought that this was going to be about the children's book The Mousehole Cat which was all about fishing, Mousehole and stargazy pie. My daughters loved that book so much that one of them chose Stargazy as her online name.

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

I think the book may be a retelling of the story from the cat's viewpoint. I'll check this evening if I get a chance.

Post 6

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - snork This is simply wonderful!

I read that story about the Devil and Cornwall about a week ago. It increased my admiration for the Cornish people enormously. smiley - biggrin

A couple of comments from me:

>>Tom Bawcock took his boat out on 23 December and St Peter, the patron saint of fishermen, must have been guarding him well because he returned to port safely with a full catch of seven different types of fish.<<

This is a beautiful story. But that sentence has me out of breath. Could you break it up, please?

>>people dressing as pirates<<

Er, these would be the REAL pirates of Penzance? (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

Post 7

Geggs

Great entry, GB!

Just one typo I spotted:

... the residents of Mousehole did not forget their savour.

Did you mean saviour?

Geggs

Post 8

minorvogonpoet

This is a great story.smiley - smiley.

Should there be a recipe to go with it?

Post 9

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Absolutely. smiley - biggrin With gross fish in. smiley - hsif

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

I couldn't find El's copy of "The Mousehole Cat" and she is away. She should be back this evening and I'll ask her then.

Post 11

I've updated, but didn't have time to post before the flood siren went off so I had to clear out pdqsmiley - yikes

I did toy with the idea of adding a recipe. But I thought it was more novel to have an entry on a pie without the recipe, and there are many varieties of it out there on the web. I'll bow to the majority though, if you all want a recipe I'll add one. However, I've never tried this dish and I doubt I would ever eat a fish dish containing (chicken) eggs, never mind with fish heads staring at me with their dead eyes smiley - yikes BUT I know someone who attends the festival in Mousehole as often as she can, and she's tried the pie.

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - diva

Post 12

minorvogonpoet

I hope you're not flooded out, Galaxy Babe. smiley - hug

Post 13

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

I would like to see the recipe myself, but as a separate, companion Entry. To add it to this story would detract from both. Any takers?

A footnote identifying the seven types of fish would help us understand a little better.

Although most of us don't eat fish heads on a regular basis, grouper cheeks are considered a local delicacy.

I do want to see a photosmiley - biggrin

smiley - goodluck with the tidesmiley - yikes

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 14

Thanks very much mvpsmiley - hugI'm fine, so's my Mumsmiley - biggrin

Here you go Fsmiley - dolphinS: http://londonfood.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/dsc00017.jpg
I like that one because it has the stars on the pie. I've looked at google pics and not seen 2 Stargazy pies the same! The recipes are quite diverse too. I'll see if I can find out what the 7 types of fish were. smiley - run

smiley - nurLook what I found for you, Gnomonsmiley - wowhttp://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af203/middlefingermom/0a0a0mfm-OctopusBlueberryPie.jpg my daughter Helen Demelza would have said "that's random!"smiley - laugh

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 15

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 16

Gnomon - time to move on

Well done. I never got time to find El's copy of "The Mousehole Cat" which I believe would be very relevant to this entry, as it introduced stargazy pie to many people.

Post 17

Geggs

Congratulations! smiley - applause

Geggs

Post 18

Bluebottle

smiley - applauseIt's out of Peer Review in time for the 23rd December!

<BB<

Post 19

smiley - biggrinthanks everyone!smiley - ok

Never mind Gnomon, I did reference it in the Entry smiley - smiley

GB
smiley - xmaspudsmiley - santasmiley - galaxy

Post 20

bobstafford

Well done and Happy christmes smiley - applause

Key: Complain about this post