This is the Message Centre for Kameatrix

Sub-editor calling

Post 1

h5ringer

Hi there Kameatrix smiley - cheerup

I'll be the sub-editor for your entry Rubber Bands - Behold The Power. The version of your Entry that will appear in the Approved Guide is this one: A87725433. If you would like to pop over and subscribe there, you will be able to see any changes I'm making, hopefully few, mainly stuff to do with consistency and style. If at any time there is something you are not happy with, just post a reply to this message. When I've finished editing, I'll ask you to confirm that you are happy with the Entry before I return it to the Editors.

Looking forward to seeing this on the Front Page smiley - ok

h5ringer

Sub-editor calling

Post 2

h5ringer

OK I've made a few changes, principally to the GuideML used to generate the numbered points. If you look at the code you'll see that I've used the and tags, together with and tags for each point. This automatically numbers them in sequence and properly indents them. I've also added a few more links to other h2g2 Entries.

In doing the edits, a couple of issues have arisen:

Point 7 - I'm minded to remove this point altogether as current recommended best practice in first aid is to apply external pressure to a wound that is bleeding. Using an elastic band in the way you describe will cut off the blood supply to the whole digit and possibly inflict serious tissue damage.

Point 10 - the application here surely is to use the elastic band as a power source to turn the motor shaft and so generate a voltage at its terminals. In this sense, the elastic band and a battery provide the same function. A dynamo and a (DC) motor are, in principle, reversible: turn the dynamo shaft by hand and it outputs a voltage; apply a voltage to the same device and the shaft turns - it's a motor. Could you reword point 10 so that it talks about using the band to turn the shaft and generate a voltage - you don't need a battery.

Let me know what you think.

Sub-editor calling

Post 3

Kameatrix

Hi,

Thanks for pointing those out!

With number 7, I think that if it's dangerous then you should definitely go ahead and get rid of it. As for 10, you could rewrite it like this:

Using the trick from no. 9, you can quickly make yourself a small dynamo using a rubber band (or several), and some basic circuit parts like little motors and wire. Just connect the twisted band to the shaft of the motor, which is in turn connected to something that needs power (for example, a lightbulb) and let it unwind. The band acts as a power source - turning the motor which generates a voltage, creating electrical energy to provide light, heat or just about anything else which uses electricity.

By the way, the last paragraph doesn't need a number - but I'm really happy with everything else!smiley - ok

Sub-editor calling

Post 4

h5ringer

Done those. Last call for you before I press the 'Go' button tomorrow smiley - ok

Sub-editor calling

Post 5

Kameatrix

You could put the original researcher's name in as an author since this is from the flea market - it's U14679247.smiley - smiley

Sub-editor calling

Post 6

h5ringer

The original researcher was actually credited but his account had a blank username. This has now been replaced by his U-number.

I am returning your Entry to the Eds to join the queue for the FP. Thanks for contributing to the Guide smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Kameatrix

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more