This is the Message Centre for Marmite

Phew, thats that done

Post 1

Marmite

What a tornado of a week that has been, buried the wifes mum on tuesday, had the intern on wednesday, thursday tried to clear house of the rubbish that had built up over 40 years and theres still loads to do, i cant believe she hoarded so much junk.

The funeral went ok, but most of her family were so drunk by the time the cars even turned up, that i thought here we go, there will be trouble, people crying, people arguing and still over 2 hours for the cars to get heresmiley - yikes.

The biggest problem was the mum in laws relations, who couldnt stand the fact that she was going to be cremated and not buried propably like a true catholic funeral.....do me a favour, they wanted a full service lasting about 2 hours and millions of hymns and prayers, sod that, most of them havent even spoke to her for years and then say we are doing wrong in the eyes of god for not doing the full works.

I think my one answer was b*llockssmiley - smiley

Anyroad, life carries on and the old gal is at least happy now with no pain.

Phew, thats that done

Post 2

Elentari

If your wife was happy with the funeral arrangements, who are they to complain? smiley - steam

Phew, thats that done

Post 3

Marmite

Spot on, my wife and her brother and sister organised it all, it was there choice and they paid for it, family like to interfere for no reason.

It was the death of their mum, who made no arrangments of how she wanted to go, so her kids decided what they wanted to do and all agreed

Phew, thats that done

Post 4

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

BK, my parents made their own arrangements and had paid for their own funerals years before. When Mum died last year, Dad changed the arrangements slightly by having her ashes buried. This is something we have all found comfort in.

The young man in the plot next to Mum is from a Roman Catholic family, yet they did the same for him. And never could a son be more loved if the weekly tributes are anything to go by.

Don't let distant relatives spoil your good memories of a woman you obviously respect. Let them go away and only be brought out for the next funeral where, no doubt, they will again have something to moan about.

smiley - rose

Phew, thats that done

Post 5

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - hug

I can't imagine anything worse than drunk people at a funeral.

I thought that was for the wake?smiley - erm

smiley - cheerupfor your wifesmiley - rose

Phew, thats that done

Post 6

Marmite

smiley - smiley thanks

The wake was even more drinking, some people couldnt even stand up, 2 of them threw up in the garden, total lack of respectsmiley - grr

Phew, thats that done

Post 7

Fizzymouse- no place like home

smiley - hug

smiley - sorry to hear of all your trouble BK.

Those guys probably only surface for weddings and funerals, so I wouldn't loose any smiley - zzz over them.

So long as the immediate family know they did the right thing the dearly departed will rest in peacesmiley - rose

Just take it easy over the weekend - the grief will probably only sink in when all the fuss has died down.

smiley - hug

Phew, thats that done

Post 8

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

smiley - hugs for you and your family

Phew, thats that done

Post 9

fundamentallyflawed

smiley - hugGood job getting through it all. I hope your wife is well.smiley - rose

Phew, thats that done

Post 10

chorlton

HI BK

Interesting reading of your experiences. we really didn't want a religious ceremony for my Dad. he wasn't at all religious so we had a few rock and roll songs ending with Jonnie B goode (he loved trains and played the guitar) we got a few disparaging looks from family (that hadn't seen him for years) that it wasn't very solemn but sod 'em i know that was what he would have wanted.

On a serious note there is some funding you can get towards the funeral if your wife and brother paid for it. Mum got £2000 towards it.

this is the hard time for them ,(and you) planning the funeral keeps you going, its after that it hits you smiley - sadface

Take care of each other

c x smiley - cuddle

Phew, thats that done

Post 11

aka Bel - A87832164

Can't add anything that hasn't be said already. smiley - cuddle for you and the family

Phew, thats that done

Post 12

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

The older I get, the more I hate boozesmiley - grr

I remember my niece's christening (she's 16+ now) being spoiled by one of her Aunts throwing up in my sister's garden (and it wasn't me)smiley - grr

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Marmite

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more