A Conversation for How to Get Through a Maze

Update Forum: A4005622 - How to Get Through a Maze

Post 1

Bagpuss

Entry: How to Get Through a Maze - A4005622
Author: Bagpuss - U152404

This is an update of A860456. There were a few bits that were wrong or misleading. Also, I've added a bit of an introduction and lengthened a couple of bits.

I considered mentioning Markov chains in the bit about random wandering, but I like the way it reads as is.

Comments? Criticism? Praise? Abuse?

A4005622 - How to Get Through a Maze

Post 2

Danny B

Nice job smiley - smiley

As you're updating an existing Entry, you shoud credit the original author and editor by adding them to the researcher list:

U182547
U188050

Post 3

Bagpuss

Whups, I could have sworn I did that. I bet I forgot to click "Set Researchers".

Post 4

Danny B

Yep - been there..! smiley - smiley

Post 5

Danté - Member of the campaign to call our country Yes Man's Land!

I must say I am honoured for one of my articles to be re-worked. Looking back at the old version, it does seem rather... shallow.

After studying your new entry I have but one point to make - your first superscript about getting to the center, rather than an outside wall. Even in these mazes, there is always a second, short path, leading right out of the maze (few expect you to, after completing the maze, do it all again backwards to get out) and so the "left hand method" will just lead the maze-doer down this exit path.

Bar this, a great rework. I especially like the parts about Ikea and Bull-headed creatures.

Keep up the good work.

Post 6

Bagpuss

Oh, hi. I thought you were long gone from the site, otherwise I'd have left a message for you about this. smiley - sorry

The Posting to which you are replying is from Chidiok d'Vas
I must say I am honoured for one of my articles to be re-worked. Looking back at the old version, it does seem rather... shallow.

"Even in these mazes, there is always a second, short path, leading right out of the maze (few expect you to, after completing the maze, do it all again backwards to get out) and so the "left hand method" will just lead the maze-doer down this exit path."

I'm sorry, I can't agree there. Have a look at this page: http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/maze/branch.htm . It shows a number of mazes with goal in the middle, but none have a short alternative path.

Thanks for your vote of confidence.

Post 7

Danté - Member of the campaign to call our country Yes Man's Land!

Hullo!

No worries - I was long gone but pop by now and again on a whim. As the Dilbert line goes - I doubt I have any knowledge worth sharing. You are forgiven for your lack of communication smiley - hug.

As for the mazes with the goal in the middle, i'm afraid I must concede defeat, coupled with some form of non-commital wimpering noise about Hampton Court being silly.

Keep up the good work.

Post 8

Bagpuss

smiley - cheers

Post 9

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Would I be right in thinking this is now ready to become the update?

Post 10

Bagpuss

Well I think so. smiley - smiley

Post 11

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Marvellous - that's now updated and listed on the Front Page. Any further corrections can be put through Editorial Feedback.

Many thanks for this - a lovely entry!

Post 12

Bagpuss

smiley - blush Most of the work was already done, but a few inaccuracies were niggling at me. smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for How to Get Through a Maze

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more