A Conversation for h2g2 Smileys

How can I use these smilieys in aim??

Post 1

Researcher 220053

smiley - rainbowIs there anyway I can use these smilieys in AIM instant messages???smiley - bluebutterfly If so.. can somebody please tell me?? I just think these smileys are so cute!!smiley - cheerup

smiley - discoThank Yousmiley - disco

smiley - loveLovesmiley - love Nikki

smiley - sheep---hehe adorable

Post 2

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Hi Researcher 220053

Welcome to h2g2 smiley - smiley.

The smileys are specific to the BBC's dna sites and can't be used on AIM or anywhere else I'm afraid.

The first thing you should do is to press the Preferences button and choose a name for yourself. After that, if you write a few words in your space someone will come along and show you around smiley - smiley.

Amy smiley - ant

Post 3

njan (afh)

Actually, I did use them in AIM at one point. smiley - whistle

What you can do is, if you're using internet explorer, save the website to a folder on your hard drive. Then copy all of the images out of the subfolder it'll create for them and stick them somewhere else; you can delete the .htm(l) file(s) left.

Add the folder as a quickstart bar to your start bar, drag it to the far right hand side - so that all you see is the folder name and two arrows (>&gtsmiley - winkeye.. then, when you want to use them, you can direct (IM image) connect to your unsuspecting victim, click on the >> (which should bring up a folder listing of the smileys) and drag-and-drop them into the AIM directly-connected window; et voila, hit enter, and you have your very own h2g2 smileys from the comfort of AIM. smiley - winkeye.. I'd suggest saving in the 'alabaster' skin in order that you have them antialiased to the correct colour (it's nasty having odd blue pixels in a white-backgrounded AIM window on some smileys)

smiley - ok

- njan

smiley - peacesign

smiley - hug

smiley - rose

Post 4

Mina

njan, as a volunteer you are meant to be squeaky clean, whiter than white, purer than the driven snow, so we'd prefer that you didn't pass on information of this kind. smiley - smiley

Post 5

njan (afh)

But.. surely for private use between consenting researchers, it's ok? *guesses not and runs off*

smiley - cry

Sorry, Mina!

Post 6

Mina

Well, why we wouldn't go beating Researchers with sticks for using our graphics on AIM, we don't really want to see volunteers (or anybody else, come to that) encouraging it. There's a good chap. smiley - hug

Post 7

Woman At Ears (Listen. Don't fight) A United Friend, RQGM, Member of the Ladies Circle

Hope this isn't going to tread on anyones toes, but there is an easier way to increase your IM smiley vocabulary.
you can download "Trillain", (now there's a good name) from http://www.ceruleanstudios.com once up and running it will give you about 150 Emoticons. One word of caution tho',inless your buddie also has Trillian, he/she will only see the keystrokes which gave rise to the smiley. Trillian takes about 10 minutes to configure, and has other advatages, beside smileys.
Why not check it out

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more