This is the Message Centre for cactuscafe

Daydream Journal

Post 701

Peanut

When I login I have to put in my login name, then my password

when I go to preferences I just have to click update to change to goo, I don't have to enter a password again, do you?

Sorry I am a bit confused...

the only time I have my letters for password coming up when I sign in is on Hiccup's ipod

Daydream Journal

Post 702

cactuscafe

No kidding!!!! Peanut, you genius, you changed my life.

Now I'm in Brunel! I went to Preferences, brought up Brunel on menu, clicked enter, away I go. I've been typing in my password every time, to do that.. Why? Erm, no idea. My brain moves in mysterious ways. heheh.

Consequently, if I mis-spell it by mistake, because it's dots, my password that is, not my brain, although my brain is dots also, I create a new password, and next time I try to login, I can't.

Oh dear.

Oh dear again.

smiley - rofl.

Now I am so happy I am going to change to Goo. I've hardly ever seen Goo.

Daydream Journal

Post 703

cactuscafe

Ooooh let loose in Preferences! I've just seen Classic Goo! whoah that's kinda gooey smiley - rofl, I love it, and so this blue and white skin is Pliny? and now I am going to find the other skins, keep me away from the password dots hahaha smiley - rofl, ah yes, I am going to settle down in Preferences and create a modest, yet fulfilling life for myself, maybe with a smiley - hamster and perhaps some floppy friendly rabbits. .

Daydream Journal

Post 704

cactuscafe

Where's the rabbit smiley? OK, it's bunnies smiley - bunnysmiley - bunnysmiley - bunny

Daydream Journal

Post 705

cactuscafe

Caspah

what? not Gaspah, as in my typo. It's Caspar.

The King.

Click Update

Daydream Journal

Post 706

Peanut

Ah, I think i see what you have been doing now smiley - biggrin

I have just been experimenting and signed on the pliny page which has a remember me box, updated to my beloved goo and didn't sign out

restarted my puter and way hey still signed in, as I came in from a favourite link which is already in goo I didn't have to bother with preferances or passwords at all

if you are on your own computer you could do this

you might have to signin once a week or something I can't remeber the tech explaination, might be to do with a cookie, and that might have been resolved

Daydream Journal

Post 707

Peanut

smiley - snork you having fun there?

Daydream Journal

Post 708

cactuscafe

I think this might be advanced computing, smiley - rofl, my luv, for me anyway, smiley - rofl, but I'll give it a go. Goodbye world.

(checks water wings and prepares to dive into advanced computing, hoping Jimmy the anarchist duck will swim and save her if she starts drowning smiley - rofl)

Mind you, I'm having a good life in Preferences. I've been peacefully settled there now for about three hours. My rambling days are over. I have a small garden, where I grow peas and potatoes, and the smiley - hamster hamsters and rabbits smiley - bunny can run wild.

I am in quite a stupid mood today. smiley - rofl. No, surely not. Really? smiley - rofl.

I'm thinking about the Marsham St premises. Love it or not, the building is part of architectural history, you think mvp? I'm fascinated by architectural history. I'd love more descriptions of the building, if you ever have a moment. I bet there was a good in-house coffeeshop there, or bar?

How on earth did they demolish such a building? I must research this matter.

I don't know what's happening with Bush House, I must find out also, the BBC isn't there any more.

It was a quirky building for sure, a lot of history, with ghosts of memorable broadcasts past. And a 24 hr cantina. Of course. smiley - rofl.

I always felt secure with the BBC Commissionaires at reception, greeting me with a cheery Good Morning as I nervously tumbled in through those round and roundy doors you get.

I love reception desks, they make me feel secure. They remind me of hotels. Was there a reception desk in the Marsham St premises?

Chapter One

It must have been around April 1978 when I first saw The Healer. He was picking up some keys at the reception desk in the hotel, that hotel on the Cromwell Road in London, England.

I spent a lot of years in that hotel. My best friend and flatmate worked in the bar. Having nowhere else to go after work, I would often spend evenings there, with my notebook for company, making a tomato juice last for hours, or a glass of iced tap water with a slice of lemon in it.

Of course I didn't know he was The Healer at that time. My friend had no idea who he was. Apparently he had been in the bar a few times.

what??? smiley - rofl

This reminds me of, although it's nowhere near the standard of, that amazing story that my friend a-l-s wrote for the Post, about the Mysterious Gentleman, remember that? That was one amazing story. Made me shiver. I want to re read it. What edition was it in? Archive! I need an Archive!

Just as long as I don't need a password. smiley - roflsmiley - rofl

Daydream Journal

Post 709

minorvogonpoet

Marsham Street.smiley - erm
There were stories (which I think were true) that it took a long time to build because the workmen went on strike. The iron reinforcing bars were left outside in the rain and started to go rusty. This meant that the building was crumbling inside. By the time we left, bits of cladding were falling off and the lifts stuck.

I remember going down to the basements for meetings of the Environment Players -the am dram group I belonged to. The basements were rumoured to be bomb proof. I don't know about that but I did find them sinister, because they formed a network of corridors, with pipes and wires running along them - like something out of Dr. Who. smiley - tardis

There was a canteen but I don't remember it being very good. We sometimes used to go to Thames House instead because the food was better. Mind you, If I wanted something to do in the lunchbreak, I could pop round the corner to Tate Britain.

Daydream Journal

Post 710

Jimmy- the anarchist duck

*waddles in*

CC hasn't been back for an hour, are any duckie heroics needed here smiley - hero

**hopes her armbands haven't sprung a leak,throws a couple of floaties around*

Daydream Journal

Post 711

Peanut

mvp I misread

I remember going down to the basements for meetings of the Environment Players, for meetings of the Environment Prayers...

Those basements sound cool, but bit sinister, Dr Who like, you say, I would be tempted to stick a couple of weeping angel type statues down there smiley - yikes

Daydream Journal

Post 712

cactuscafe

Jimmy! glug glug bubble bubble

(holding onto six inflatable dots in mid computer ocean)

(these dots saved my life, I will never forget them)

Jimmy! You're here! glug glug bubble bubble help! help!

what happened was that I typed in a password, but I found this password gave me access to a stranger's i-pod, which was very nice, because the music was great, smiley - musicalnotesmiley - rofl, but that was quite strange I think.

Anyway, I was saved by six floating hootoo password dots who kept me entertained until you came along.

(clambers onto back of anarchist duck. take me away, Jimmy)

what???

(have to have lunch, then will return to consider next postings, because I think Marsham St just entered my life in a curious and strangely addictive way and I need soup)

Daydream Journal

Post 713

Jimmy- the anarchist duck

*tows CC to safety and ushers her off for hot soup* smiley - hero

Daydream Journal

Post 714

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Hey, CC and others.

Just a tip:

You want to be in Brunel. Here's one way to do it.

Bookmark a favourite page in Brunel. Then log in. Once you're in h2g2, open your bookmark. You'll be in Brunel.

I haven't reset my Preferences in months. smiley - laugh

Daydream Journal

Post 715

cactuscafe

(dries off, and feels better after soup) Jimmy my hero smiley - kiss.

smiley - rofl environment prayers smiley - rofl.

That's an amazing description of Marsham St, mvp, thanks! My imagination is boggling now with thoughts about those bomb-proof basements. A scifi story setting, indeed. I love it. Bits were falling off, and the lifts stuck? ohmigod.

An iconic building, though, in a strange sort of way, and part of architectural history. I am sad it has been demolished for that reason. It would have been a great film set or something, once the Dept was safely rehoused. But I guess the film crew might not have dared venture. hmm It's very interesting. I wish I could write factual Guide Entries, I'd write about this building.

Daydream Journal

Post 716

Peanut

smiley - laugh we all have our ways of navigating, I tend to click on preferances because it is one click after login and has become automatic reflex

Daydream Journal

Post 717

cactuscafe

Hullo mister! You could write a wonderful scifi story about the Marsham St basements.

But wait! What is this I hear? You haven't reset your Preferences in months?? What???I'm not sure if I can allow this. smiley - rofl

Bookmark? I've never used the bookmark, I thought it was for big persons. smiley - rofl. So I'm in Brunel right now. If I click bookmark .....

Jimmy! I need to go diving again. smiley - rofl. Perhaps I'll wait till later. heheh.

Maybe I'll be able to access that nice person's i-pod again. I could bookmark it.

smiley - rofl

Daydream Journal

Post 718

Peanut

I so want to put a weeping angel in a stuck lift, sorry, but if I unexpectedly opened that, my face would be a picture

I'll stop now with the Dr Who things...

Daydream Journal

Post 719

cactuscafe

Ah yes, the weeping angels, I was going to get back to you about them, smiley - rofl, poetic Peanut, I got distracted by drowning. smiley - kiss I love it, even though they're stuck in a lift .. which is weird, especially if you were in there with them ....limited conversation potential with a weeping angel statue, or maybe not ... they told me many things ... they were the last thing I saw ...before I saw bubbles

(heads off to find bookmark)

Daydream Journal

Post 720

cactuscafe

of course I might have missed the Dr Who connection. I haven't seen the Doctor since 1968 when he looked like William Hartnell. smiley - roflsmiley - love

Sometimes, in life, I feel as if I took the wrong turning at the roundabout smiley - rofl

smiley - rofl

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for cactuscafe

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more