This is the Message Centre for cactuscafe

Updating the Update

Post 6381

bobstafford

Depends where you are Mere in any French-speaking country is mother!
Don't forget ‎Fête des Mères, Mothers Daysmiley - cake

Merely a mere

Post 6382

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - biggrin

Mere is a good word - here's another one! A87875987

"You know what I love about this site? I've spent about fifteen years going on and on in a spontaneous way about many many random things, I'm still here, because the stream of consciousness does greatly flow. "

smiley - applausesmiley - biggrinsmiley - love

Updating the Update

Post 6383

cactuscafe

Ah Hawkwind smiley - love Glorious monochrome synth flashback noggin twisters. smiley - rofl

A mere cat

Post 6384

cactuscafe

smiley - cat No! Protest the kitties, we are not mere cats, neither are we meerkats.

smiley - coffee

Of course! Mere is Mom in French! 'Well, Mum or Mother. I like Mom though. Is the word Mom American?

I used to address my dear Mum as Mother in later years. Mother! I would say, as we sipped our tea. smiley - tea We were pretending to be English ladies.

These kind of warm memories brought me comfort, after she died.

Strange, I saw a lady in town just now who reminded me so much of her, I did a double take.

Good survey. Words for mother in different cultures and languages.

And great article SashaQ on the Burton Mere Wetlands! And beautiful photos. Silver blue, the sky, the water.

So there is profit in my endless ramble, eh? smiley - rofl I go on about the word mere and it presents itself to me in many forms and guises.

A mere cat

Post 6385

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Merely dropping in (you see what I did there) to remind you about this week's Post. smiley - winkeye

smiley - islandsmiley - islandThe h2g2 Post is up at A87931173! Rejoice! (bell) (bell)
smiley - islandsmiley - islandThe Post Editor has learnt to spell Cotylorhynchus. Look at it and you will laugh. A reminder: Willem's book is on sale from Lulu. If you're willing to wait a few weeks, it's also available from Amazon.
smiley - islandsmiley - islandThe photography, as always, is stunning. The Caption Challenge manages to be both stunning and hilarious at the same time. We amaze ourselves.
smiley - islandsmiley - islandPlease let Awix know you appreciate his review. I'm afraid he's mad at the Editor for dissing both superhero movies AND Stephen King.
smiley - islandsmiley - islandWe have obligatory cats and UFOs, and a gratuitous 2legs reference.
smiley - islandsmiley - islandIt is Palm Sunday. Bluebottle gets metaphysical as only Bluebottle could. Paigetheoracle is just 'meta'.
smiley - islandsmiley - islandThis issue is a picnic feast. We brought snark. Enjoy the comics: workplace humour and an ongoing journey through the netherworld.
smiley - islandsmiley - islandNext week, there will be more of this madness. smiley - islandsmiley - island

A mere cat

Post 6386

FWR

I could probably throw a one legged duck and it would land in Burton from here, sadly never been. Martin Mere and Rang Mere yes, Burton no..... Ray Mears is another negative!

Good Post this week, thanks DG (and thank Elektra for prodding you!)

A mere cat

Post 6387

FWR

Raby not Rang, bloody autofill again!

Rangmere is probably delightful too though.

France was cold

Post 6388

minorvogonpoet

I got back from France late on Wednesday - or was it very early Thursday?
France was cold smiley - brr and grey for the first week and our old house doesn't have central heating that works, so we lit lots of log fires and wore lots of thick clothes.
But the fire in Notre Dame wasn't anything to do with us. Honest.

France was cold

Post 6389

We believe you, MVP. smiley - hug

France was cold

Post 6390

bobstafford

France sounds nice warmer than the UKsmiley - smiley

Brighton is warm!

Post 6391

cactuscafe

Hullo mvp! Sorry that France was cold and grey. I thought it would be golden sunlit with lizards and things. Ah well, the sun is here to welcome you in the UK. smiley - kiss

And Easter holiday greetings to you all! smiley - chicksmiley - chick

Today I am 64. Interesting age, 64. Somewhere between 63 and 65 there lies 64. The open door of sixty four. Cor, (caw), sixty four, cawed the rook.

Erm, right.

So a fine weekend indeed! Easter, birthday and wedding anniversary tomorrow, all in the same three days.

smiley - redwine

The fire in Notre Dame was so awful, watching the footage of the spire toppling. Yikesy yikes.

I just read on BBC news that 200,000 bees survived though!

There are three hives on top of the sacristy, on the south side of the building, 98 ft below the roof. Smoke makes bees intoxicated and eventually sends them to sleep. They wouldn't have survived flames and further intense heat though.

It seems that European bees, unlike other species, stay by their hive after sensing danger, gorging on honey and working to protect their queen.

smiley - chicksmiley - chicksmiley - chick

Brighton is warm!

Post 6392

FWR

Happy birthday, Anniversary, weekend off!smiley - cakesmiley - hug

Brighton is warm!

Post 6393

SashaQ - happysad

Happy birthday! 64 is an interesting number.
8 x 8 or
4 x 4 x 4 or
2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 or
32 x 2 or
16 x 4.
Happy Easter and Happy Wedding Anniversary too smiley - magicsmiley - bunnysmiley - chick

Brighton is warm!

Post 6394

Happy Easter and Happy 64th. smiley - hug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJBB4DgoGeU

Brighton is warm!

Post 6395

minorvogonpoet

Happy Easter,smiley - chick birthday and wedding anniversary.

Brighton is warm!

Post 6396

cactuscafe

Thankyouuuuu dear ones! smiley - kisssmiley - kisssmiley - chicksmiley - chick

Interesting numerical insights into 64, Sasha! I shall consider this. Strange coincidence. Today I was just thinking about maths and numbers again, and wrote out lots of numbers in blue, orange and lime green. As one does. smiley - rofl

And Saturday is on the horizon!!! smiley - redwinesmiley - redwine

h2g2 live in London. This is in fact memorable already, before its even a memory. heheh.

We're all going on a summer meet, pom pom smiley - musicalnote, well, some of us are. We shall write an account, well some of us might. I shall analyse the number 64 in my notebook and see if anyone wants to play Beetle with me, like, every twenty minutes.

No! No! smiley - run.

That was mvp running back to France. smiley - rofl

Brighton is warm!

Post 6397

Willem

Hello Cactuscafé! Happy happy birfday to you! 64 is a fine number! My first computer was a Commodore 64. Was a fine machine! I still have it actually … and it may still work ...

Don't Panic!

Post 6398

minorvogonpoet

I'm panicking! smiley - dontpanic

Why? Well, I might have told you I was persuaded to be a 'paper candidate' for the Town Council at the local elections. I was told I didn't have to do much and stood no chance of being elected.

But yesterday, I went canvassing in the ward I'm standing for, with a couple of candidates for the Lib-Dems, because they and the Greens are working together. Canvassing turned out to be pleasanter than I expected. But one of the Lib Dems said 'By the way, do you realise you're quite likely to be elected?' To which my reaction was more or less 'Me a councillor? smiley - yikes'

Don't Panic!

Post 6399

smiley - rofl So you may have been suckered into a real job. Way to go! smiley - hug

Don't Panic!

Post 6400

minorvogonpoet

Councillors don't get paid, though they might get expenses. The Town Council is the lowest level of local government, so none of this is very grand. Perhaps I shouldn't panic.smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post