A Conversation for Ampersands & Their Sordid Past

Peer Review: A3523916 - Ampersands & Their Sordid Past

Post 1

ExtraneousSnood

Entry: Ampersands & Their Sordid Past - A3523916
Author: ExtraneousSnood - U1252708

Here's a surprisingly fun entry on the ampersand. Comments are welcome.

A3523916 - Ampersands & Their Sordid Past

Post 2

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Hello and Welcome to h2g2, and welcome to Peer Review ExtraneousSnood smiley - smiley

I think that's an intersting subject for an entry, there's not already an Edited Entry on Ampersands, so there's a gap there to be filled. smiley - biggrin

You'll need to do a little work on it, bring it up to it's full potential, other Researchers will probably offer comments and suggestions on it soon. smiley - magic

It would be nice if you would add an introduction of some kind on your Space. Some Researchers are reluctant to make comments on Entries where it looks like the author may not return, as yours does at the moment. smiley - erm

You can add an introduction by clicking 'Edit Page' on your Space. smiley - ok

Emmily
smiley - rose

Post 3

ExtraneousSnood

Many thanks, Emmily. Already updated my profile. I've got entries in the works regarding other punctuation criters.

Regards,

--Brian

Post 4

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

Ok, I just hope I'm correct, in that it's a suitable Entry for the Edited Guide. I'm on a bit of a 'learning curve' about Peer Review, it's been very quiet this evening. Your entry is factual and informative, that's requirements of Edited Entries, so it should be ok.smiley - biggrin

It would be good if you could change you Entry to GuideML. That's the language h2g2 uses, to enable you to add Headers/Subheaders, links, bold or Italic text, you can find out more at A2669051 it says it for a personal Space, but works the same in Guide Entries smiley - magic

You insert '&' in GuideML like this - & smiley - ok

I notice your using double quotes, it's standard for Edited Entries to only use single quotes smiley - smiley

Emmily
smiley - rose

Post 5

smiley - sorry I must've beem asleep when I read it earlier.smiley - smiley

Have you read the Writing-Guidelines it's very helpful if you haven't. Entries must be written in third person, you'll need to change or remove some of it.smiley - ok

Emmily
smiley - rose

Post 6

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

I enjoyed this entry and, yes, Emmily, it's a suitable entry for the Guide: have a look at A2922077 for a similar entry. The only work that really needs to be done to this is to 'depersonalise' it. The means changing phrases such as ' know that this will upset some folks','But I digress' and 'I'm glad you asked'. The only other comment I'd make is that the ligature between E and t in "&" is really only very clear in the Brunel skin: Classic and Alabaster don't show it so well.

It's a good 'un. Don't let it fall by the wayside.

smiley - ok
FM
Scout

Post 7

ExtraneousSnood

Thanks, Emmily and Scout.smiley - biggrin

I'll update the entry to GuideML format on Monday. smiley - run

I'm not certain, but I think the reason you may have keyed into the double quotes might be usage here in the States vs. usage there in the UK. I usually reserve the use of single quote, or apostrophe, for possesive and contractions. I use double quotes to denote specific citations and examples, as well as quotations. If there's a particular preference for the Guide, I'll gladly update the entry to the standard. smiley - footinmouth

Regards, smiley - peacesign

--Brian

Post 8

I think the Editors like the single quotes as they make the Entry look tidier smiley - smiley I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong smiley - laugh

You can find out more double/single quotes at English Usage in the Edited Guide A266131smiley - ok

(smiley - cheers Felonious)

Emmily
smiley - rose

Post 9

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

I found this to be an interesting Entry ES. I've long been curious about this, but never took the trouble to 'find out'; hence I think this will be a useful addition to the EG.

I found your digressionary paragraph (about Latin being a dead language) to be a bit trite and, if it was me, I wouldn't include it.

smiley - biggrin

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

Emmily, the editors prefer single quotes because they are standard publishing practice in the UK. All books, newspapers and magazines use them.

Post 11

smiley - cheers Gnomon, I'd read what I said somewhere in PR, I guess it was a 'tongue in cheek'. comment.smiley - smiley

Emmily
smiley - rose

Post 12

AlexAshman

Hi ES! Interesting entry - something I never had a clue about. smiley - laugh

You say the typesetters were 'always looking for another way to become lazy' - they could equally have been trying to save time...

Alex smiley - biggrin

Post 13

ExtraneousSnood

Thanks all, for your input. I've updated the entry, folding your comments into it.

Regards

--Brian

Post 14

Ormondroyd

smiley - applause Well done, Brian. This is an interesting read, surely on its way into the Edited Guide. smiley - ok

Perhaps I'm out of touch here, but I don't understand the closing remark: '...LMNOP is quickly becoming one letter'. Is this a texting thing, or is it caused by kids saying 'Lemony Snicket'? smiley - winkeye

Post 15

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Is it due to the sing song of chanting the alphabet and they have to rush through those letters to keep to the rhythm?

Post 16

AlexAshman

'Elemeno Pee'

Post 17

Ormondroyd

Sounds like an unpleasant ailment, Alex. smiley - yuksmiley - winkeye

Post 18

Gnomon - time to move on

A few tiny changes needed:

'and.' --> 'and'.

That is, move the full stop to outside the quotes. This is h2g2 standard.

"t" --> 't'

here in America --> in America

are taught their alphabet --> were taught their alphabet

smiley - ok

Post 19

ExtraneousSnood

Thanks all. I've updated the few typographical problems.

By the way, I beleive the 'LMNOP' thing is caused by something in the water...smiley - winkeye

Regards,

--Brian

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 20

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more