A Conversation for Launching and Landing a Single-lined kite.

Peer Review: A3490814 - Launching and Landing a Single-lined kite.

Post 1

Kiteman

Entry: Launching and Landing a Single-lined kite. - A3490814
Author: Kiteman - U1056601

I have submitted a number of kite-related articles for Peer Review. One is currently "Pending".

A3490814 - Launching and Landing a Single-lined kite.

Post 2

Sea Change

I think it's worth mentioning that if you have to run in order to get the wind to take the kite, your kite will not fly. You are wasting your sweat and effort, and should choose a lighter kite or a kite with more lift.

I think it's also worth mentioning the winch method for getting your kite to rise in the sky.

Post 3

Kat - From H2G2

Perhaps an introduction to the different methods of launching? Currently it leaps straight from where to fly to a method. Perhaps you could say a bit about why people use different methods etc or something? I don't know, it just seemed rather sudden.

Kat

Post 4

Kiteman

I've never used, or seen used, a winch to launch a kite. Have you any info (e.g. a web reference) I could look at?

Post 5

LordOfDays

Quit frankly i believe that if it is necessary to run in order to launch a kite then so be it. Why not do what every it takes to use the laws of aerodynamics to the fullest? It is foolish to just get a lighter kite. Its not the weight that matters but the skill which is used and the precession with which the launch is undertaken.
A3490814 knows what he is talking about

Post 6

Kiteman

Thanks for that, LoD. The other thing is that it is quite alarmingly dangerous to run backwards across a beach whilst looking at the sky...

Post 7

Sea Change

Using the laws of aerodynamics to the fullest, is to get the wind to do the work FOR you, in my opinion. Kites must be at least semi-rigid, even the spar-less ones, in order to aerodynamically fly, and this is your limiting factor unless you wish to ignore physics entirely.

Once you are constantly applying power, and if you had to run to launch your kite, you WILL be constantly applying power, you are just an inside-out human-powered airplane and not much of a kite at all.

Post 8

Kiteman

I'm starting to include the things The Wise Ones have suggested. My other kite articles will get the changes too.

Post 9

Kiteman

NOW I think they're all done. [wanders off to find a different project...]

Post 10

Dr Hell

A lovely Entry! smiley - ok

HELL

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 12

Dr Hell

smiley - bubbly congratulations Kiteman!

HELL

Post 13

Kiteman

smiley - somersault

Post 14

Kat - From H2G2

*quiet and restrained dance*

wohoo! smiley - biggrin

Post 15

Sea Change

Coolness!smiley - cool I wonder if these entries will get published in time for summer flying.

Post 16

Kiteman

Spring would be better - there's more wind. I must be one of the few peole to sit and look grumpy on a hot summer's day - high pressure weather gives nice clear days, but no wind!

Anyway, got to go: there's a low pressure region croosing the region this weekend. The wind could hit 40mph tomorrow smiley - smiley

Post 17

SchrEck Inc.

Hi Kiteman,

I've been given your fabulous entry to subedit, and the result is at A3641744. If you spot anything that needs attention, please drop me a note. smiley - bigeyes

SchrEck Inc.

Post 18

Kiteman

Looks fine to me - I like the "trees" link. Thanks for the work you're doing on the article, I appreciate it.

Post 19

SchrEck Inc.

smiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Launching and Landing a Single-lined kite.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more