A Conversation for Community Theatre

And you'll never guess what community theater builds...

Post 1

Researcher 55342

Another important highlight of community theater: it builds community. I didn't know many in my town for too many years. But after joining one of our local community theater groups, I got to know two middle school nurses, one of the librarians, a former police officer (who knows everybody), the town supervisor, two real estate agents, several high school students, a podiatrist, an accountant and countless others. Grocery shopping, a visit to the dry cleaners, even posting a letter became social outings. And I never had to go to another play or movie alone unless I wanted to as I had a ready list of people with similar interests. And to reiterate the earlier posting: community theater groups are always looking for help, particularly backstage.

Post 2

Algy

It also allows people who used to be recessed, shy people to completely change.
Many a person (myself included) has been completely changed (most times for the better) by a little
roleplay. Manytimes, this is when said shy one does not quite lose this character
at production's end.

Post 3

Graham

And would you believe it works even better with an ex-patriate community where no-one really knows the background of anyone else.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more