A Conversation for Ask h2g2

The Scunthorpe Problem

Post 1

Bright Blue Shorts

Entertaining piece on how internet filters for spam are becoming an issue for some revered institutions ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8528672.stm

The Scunthorpe Problem

Post 2

Not the monkey - Skreeeeeeeeeeeee

Never mind Scunthorpe...I pity people who are into windsurfing and waterskiing. Google 'watersports' and many of the sites are...not quite what you'd necessarily want.

True story:

I used to have a recipes site. One of the recipes was for slow-cooked quince that I brought back from Turkey. I quoted 'The Owl and the Pussycat' alongside it. My traffic analysis showed that a disturbing number of peolle arrived there looking for 'Turkish Pussy'.

The Scunthorpe Problem

Post 3

Xanatic

There´s also a problem with different languages. For example the word "slut" is very harmless in Danish.

The Scunthorpe Problem

Post 4

I have a sign taken of me in Sweden next to a sign reading 'slut'.

But my famous Swedish sign was was a No Entry sign: 'Farthinder'.

The Scunthorpe Problem

Post 5

toybox

And "bite" is pretty harmless in English.

The Scunthorpe Problem

Post 6

More amusing Scandiwegian:

http://bonoboworld.blogspot.com/2007/11/faux-amis-pour-mes-vrais-amis.html

The Scunthorpe Problem

Post 7

Icy North

If you go to Amsterdam and follow signs for 'slagroom' you'll get whipped cream.

I know - maybe you would have anyway smiley - raisedeyebrow

The Scunthorpe Problem

Post 8

Xanatic

I suppose you didn´t notice them selling small packages of spunk to children in Denmark.

The Scunthorpe Problem

Post 9

No...but a friend in Germany likes to show his coworkers his tin of Mushy Peas. smiley - erm Which only works in bilingually.

The Scunthorpe Problem

Post 10

(And I was smiley - yikes alarmed to see a DVD on that topic openly displayed on a stand at Copenhagen's Central Station.)

The Scunthorpe Problem

Post 11

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

If I just _have_ to buy sliced bread over here, for toast - then I make it my duty to buy the brand named 'Bimbo'

The Scunthorpe Problem

Post 12

Giford

We spent hours trying to follow the signs to Slaggate in South Africa.

Gif smiley - geek

Key: Complain about this post