in pottery and art

spread of skills

Post 2

Elentari

I'm sorry? I don't understand.

spread of skills

Post 3

CRich70

I think the OP meant that as the romans expanded their territory they brought new skills into the areas that they took over. They influenced the culture of their conquests. And they even changed the geography of the land. London got its start by being a roman fort for example. Not sure when Oxford got its start but its name describes it. A bridge (possibly roman built) over a river so that oxen could be gotten over the river easily. I would think the romans would have had some military presence at such a site since they would probably have used it as well to move troops as needed.

spread of skills

Post 4

Vestboy

Wasn't a ford a shallow crossing rather than a bridge? Somewhere where people crossed without any engineering intervention.
I like the article, by the way.

spread of skills

Post 5

CRich70

Probably a ford was yes, but knowing the romans if they had something to do with it they may have built a bridge over it. They did build temporary bridges over rivers as well as more permament structures like the aquaducts. Course I think they only stayed in Britian for around 400 yrs if I remember my world history correctly.

spread of skills

Post 6

Vestboy

Only 400 years... no staying power those Romans, eh?

spread of skills

Post 7

CRich70

Well it was around the time the dark ages were starting I think when they withdrew. In the 400's that is. Probably they felt that an island that they had more of a trade agreement with (rather than a mainland presence) wasn't as worth the upkeep as some of what they were trying to keep together. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Britain By 476 the Western roman empire was well into its decline. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_empire

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Romans in Britain: Pottery

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more