A Conversation for Good News/Bad News - thread synopsis to 23rd August 1999

Masterly stuff

Post 1

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Well done smiley - bigeyes

Masterly stuff

Post 2

3Syllables

Yes i agree well done smiley - fish have a fish for no perticular reason !

Masterly stuff

Post 3

A magazine In New Zealand is running NZs 1st on-line, web-constructed, short story competition.

I am editing Good News Bad News and will enter it in the competition. smiley - bigeyes

Masterly stuff

Post 4

shazzPRME

yes....go for it L&PP smiley - winkeye We could do with more kind people making synopses smiley - bigeyes I have a couple on my page that could use the treatment smiley - smiley
shazz smiley - winkeye

Masterly stuff

Post 5

Mark Moxon

One thing that concerns me is that you're duplicating information that could simply be pointed to with a link.

Now if you want to do a useful synopsis, why not take all the related bits of the story and mong them into one article that reads properly, and maybe colour each part differently (alternating white/yellow) so we can see where people changed over. Then list the researchers' names at the end.

It's a good idea, but what's on this page is no more useful than a link to the forum itself. And there's one of those too...

Or am I missing the point?

Masterly stuff

Post 6

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I only just noticed the replies...

Mark, it was intended as an experiment in finding a format to show the thread in - a one-off, to see if people liked the way it looked. Given enough encouragement, I could probably produce a PERL script to display an arbitary thread in this format, without any duplication of information in the database.

You didn't really miss the point - I just failed to express it clearly enough... smiley - bigeyes

Masterly stuff

Post 7

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Which leads me to why I hadn't noticed the postings - if somebody replies to a user page, it would make sense to show that in the original user's "most recent forum entries" space, even though strictly they have not made a forum entry...

Because, as each person replies to it, everybody _except the author of the original article_ is alerted to the replies...

Masterly stuff

Post 8

I agree. Nobody needs to have a "nobdy loves you thing on their masterpiece" A way around it - post something like "please talk back"

Masterly stuff

Post 9

Good news bad news was mentoned in the kiwi writing thing as an interesting entry. No money was won, perhaps

Masterly stuff

Post 10

3Syllables

hello :~)

Masterly stuff

Post 11

shazzPRME

??!...and hello to you too!
shazzPRsmiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post