A Conversation for 'Star Wars' - the Films

Star Wars

Post 1

DZ/015

I enjoyed the movie even though I would not consider myself a huge fan of the series. I accepted it for what it is: a kid's movie ... blah blah blah.

The one thing I am puzzled about is why few people seem to mention the unbelieveably bad acting. Ewan McGregor with his stupid Alec Guinness accent; Liam Neeson looking so disinterested, it was not true.

It was this aspect of the film that was by far the most distracting, and funny after a while. Lucas has great ideas about 'concept', but he's not the best director in the world (hence his small collection of work in this capacity). Any director worth his or her salt would not have tolerated such poor performances from the leading players.

Star Wars

Post 2

Amanda

I can't even tell you how many times I've seen the first ("last") three Episodes. And I'm ashamed to disclose how many times I've seen the newest film. smiley - winkeye I didn't even notice the "Alec Guinness" accent until I'd read an interview with Ewan McGregor talking about how he prepared for the role - after I saw the movie. It didn't play any part in my enjoying or not enjoying the film. As for Liam acting "disinterested", well that also has me scoobied. Um, I thought he acted like a "Jedi" - the character of which, btw, Lucas built off of Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai". Very reserved and serene, and bear in mind that at this point in the Star Wars story, Jedi's weren't used to action and violence. This was a peaceful time soon to be in turmoil, and it will be great to watch Ewan's Obi-Wan character develop through the next two films.

Star Wars

Post 3

Tokaido

I agree - Although it was certainly weird to hear ewan mcgregor talking with a plummy upper-crust accent, you must remember that Lucas has the unusual problem of making these film that tell the story of what happened before the original film (no.4) after he actually made them.

So he has to make everything tie in, and this means obi has the accent etc.

What no-one has got onto yet is the gungun issue. Along with much of the rest of the world i really dislike him and wish he will die soon. Which is what will happen luckily...as his role is to be horribly murdered by anakin to prove just how evil he has become (yay!) Lucas may have misjudged the gungun's character...he is made to appeal to the younger audience, but isn't merely just a character for the adults, he is up there with satan. anyway, i am rambling, this will have to do

Star Wars

Post 4

Cookieluck

I thought Ewan was great as a young Obi Wan and he handled the accent really well. However, I agree about Liam. I'm still having trouble understanding why his character was in the film in the first place. He was so dull could easily have been edited out by giving Obi Wan a bigger role or perhaps even Yoda!

Speaking of Yoda, is anyone else thrown by the fact that he sounds exactly like Grover from Sesame Street?

Star Wars

Post 5

Legolas

And who else can't wait to see yoda in a lightsabre fight?

Star Wars

Post 6

L4d

I can't wait to see that, either, and he WAS packing a piece in TPM. I do hope this means we will see him use it. Maybe he can use the Force to wield his weapon, sort of remote control fighting (which would be REALLY interesting)? I dunno, but you just know Yoda can do some serious whoop-up, when he needs to.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more