This is the Message Centre for welkinhorn

The future, how permanent a place is it?

Post 1

welkinhorn

Does the future change direction as you walk away? And does it actuaaly happen if you write it down?
So, for example, if I walk down my road and turn left instead of right, I will end up at the top of a hill, rather than the bottom. This, to me at least, will be an obvious chain of events. But is the future governed by our actions now and how much influence can we have on the future, not just our own future but of the the world(s), (this one or whatever poor rocks out there we manage to land ourselves on)? And if I write out a description of what I think the future will be, will it influence the eventual outcome? Or is the future as immoveable and uninfluenceable (is this a word?) by us as our/the past is?

Post 2

broelan

The only thing certain about the future is that there will be one, and not even that is true for some smiley - zen

Every action causes a chain of events, whether large or small, which will impact the futures of the events in the chain. The ammount of impact can vary largely from event to event, some things are simply more important than others.

The moral of the story? Nothing is set in stone, you can always change the future, right up until it happens.

Welcome to h2g2! smiley - biggrin

Post 3

welkinhorn

You can only change it right up to the point it happens? How do you know it is not all happening at once, past present future all at the same time, like a big lump of chewing gum, depending on how you look at it, you can stretch it out into a line, or roll it up into one big lump?

Post 4

broelan

Time may roll up in a ball for some people, but for me personally (and most everyone I know) time is linear, one thing always happens after another. Occasionally several things will happen at once, but certainly not everything, and not all the time. smiley - ok

A timely front page entry, maybe this will help smiley - winkeye :
A3006307

Post 5

welkinhorn

Thanks, this looks interesting, but time is very definitely running in a fast, linear direction away from me, today. Will read it in the hopefully not too distant future, whatever direction that's in, and will get back to you...or forward to you, or just simultaneously answer in my own space and time! miley>

Post 6

welkinhorn

Sorry! My smiley - smiley turned intoa miley> !

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for welkinhorn

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more