A Conversation for Washington State, USA

Peer Review: A2812105 - Washington State, USA

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

Entry: Washington State, USA - A2812105
Author: Gnomon [1.8kg lost in 3 weeks, 6.6kg to go] - U151503

There is no entry in the guide on Washington State at the moment, so this should fill the gap. This entry is not intended to tell you everything possible about the State. There's plenty of room for individual entries about cities etc. This is intended to be an overview.

A2812105 - Washington State, USA

Post 2

J

Good entry, I suppose. I don’t know much about the west coast at all, but this works.

In the Some State Facts as the beginning, I think I’d include the state bird, Willow Goldfinch and somewhere a mention of the state flag - which is a green rectangle with the state seal in the center... which includes George Washington (this is the only state named after a President as a matter of fact). Perhaps its nickname, as the Evergreen State.

“In 1848, the American government took control of the American part of Oregon Country, calling it 'Oregon Territory'. “

*The* Oregon Territory?

“It is famous for Starbucks, the Space Needle and Frasier. “

Perhaps put this stuff in context? Or at least put Frasier in quotes.

“The only major town on the San Juan Islands is Friday Harbour.”

Friday Harbor.

Also, I believe you mention Seattle is the largest city five times - maybe four... but then again maybe six. Any reason why you’re stressing this point so much?

smiley - blacksheep

Post 3

Black Cheetah: The Veggie Black Cat (Have two accounts for some reason!)

Wonderful Article smiley - applause

I just wanted to mention that Washington is not the only state named after a president. It is however, the only one to still have the name. Missouri used to be Jefferson...but got its name changed somewhere... there was also a Frankling state.

Black Cheetah - smiley - somersaultsmiley - blackcat

Post 4

anhaga

"In 1818, a treaty was signed between the USA and the British establishing the border between British regions (now known as Canada) and the US at the 49th parallel,"

Perhaps a link to the 'Canada' edited entry?

smiley - smiley

Post 5

Dr. Memory

Another well written entry, Gnomon.

I think it's a bit harsh to call the Olympic peninsula 'uninhabited' or virtually uninhabited - there's about 220,000 people living in the four counties that make up most of the Olympic peninsula, giving a population density of about 30 to 50 people/square mile (state average = 88/sq. mile).

The 57 miles of Olympic National Park coastline is an area of stunning natural beauty and is an International Biosphere reserve, a World Heritage site, and a U.S. National Marine sanctuary. The total National park area of almost a million acres (400,000 hectares) is mostly inaccesable except by boat or on foot, with over 95% designated as wilderness areas. I would recommend www.nps.gov/olym/home.htm as a good reference for the park.

The five active volcanoes in Washington state are Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, Glacier Peak, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Adams. There is also the little known Indian Heaven volcanic field, located between Mt. Adams and St. Helens, which is an area of several dozen small shield volcanoes. (USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory). There is actually another one on the ocean floor about 300 miles off the Washington - Oregon coast, called the Axial Seamount, which erupted in 1998. The NOAA site www.pmel.noaa.gov has some pretty cool multimedia on the Axial seamount : courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Post 6

Dr. Memory

actually I meant to include the link to the NOAA site
www.pmel.noaa.gov/vents/nemo/explorer.html
A little off track, but very cool.

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

OK, folks, I admit that I should have included lots of links in this. I'll see what I can come up with.

I didn't realise I stressed Seattle so much. I'll check it out.

I think the population figures you give for the Olympic peninsula include all between the Puget Sound and the mountains, which is where most of the people live. I had included this in the "Puget Sound Lowlands region". I'll have to think about how to sort this out.

Post 8

Milos

Hi Gnomon smiley - smiley

What is here seems thorough enough, but primarily deals with history and geography. Would you consider adding information on industry and agriculture (in addition to Micros**t, Boeing is also headquartered there), famous Washingtonians (Bob Barker, Bing Crosby A2866025, Jimi Hendrix A248744, Adam West, Kurt Cobaine A337015), or points of interest specific to Washington (besides mountains)?

A good resource might be http://www.50states.com which might offer other ideas to follow up.

The other thing that struck me was this statement: "Many Americans started to head west from the United States (which still were only the east coast of the continent) ..." which makes it sound like we were still just the 13 states. In fact by 1830 nearly half of the states had aquired statehood (24), and during the 1830s two more joined. It would be more accurate to say the US covered the eastern third of its current boundaries, or that the US was located primarily east of the Mississippi (although there were 2 states on its western banks).

Black Cheetah, I haven't found anything in the history of Missouri that it was once called Jefferson, it was the Missouri Territory before becoming a state, named after Indians in the area. It was part of the Louisiana Purchase which was aquired by Thomas Jefferson, and it's capital city is Jefferson City, named for same. smiley - smiley

I'm curious as to which state might have been previously called Franklin, but Ben Franklin was never a president. smiley - ok

Post 9

let me look it up...I read it in I think a governmental website for kids or something....you know interesting facts to make kids get interested in government and stuff.......

Post 10

Okay...

According to http://www.ls.net/~newriver/nc/wnc6.htm

The State of Franklin was parts of Western North Carolina and Tennessee.

There are lots of other links.... just type 'Which state was called Franklin?' in www.ask.com (Ask Jeeves)

http://128.138.144.71/cpa/BOOK/jeffco.html

also mentions a state by the name of Jefferson but it didnt last long...

Post 11

J

Actually that mentions a territory by the name of Jefferson. Big difference smiley - smiley

So, yes, Washington is the only state to have been named for a US President.

smiley - blacksheep

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

Jodan, I have addressed all the points you raised. I didn't mention the fact that Washington is the only state named after a president. Do you think I should? I've changed everything else you recommended.

Anhaga, I've added a link to Canada at the very start.

Dr Memory, I'll try and work some of the information you provided into the entry. Thanks!

Miloso, I don't really know much about industry, agriculture and celebrities. I was hoping that this entry could become the overview of Washington and that other people would write additional Entries on things like industry and celebrities. If you feel that these should be in the overview, let me know. Would you like to collaborate in writing the appropriate sections?

I've changed the section you pointed out about the US being only the east coast.

Post 13

J

It's just an interesting fact smiley - smiley

smiley - blacksheep

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

OK, I've included it.smiley - smiley

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

I've added some paragraphs by Dr Memory to the Cascade Mountains and Olympic Peninsula sections, and have added Dr Memory as a co-author.

smiley - smiley

Post 16

Milos

Gnomon, my best friend just moved back from Washington State earlier this year. I'll see if I can come up with some additional information for you smiley - ok.

Also, I know there are a few researchers from the area, Mikey the Humming Mouse included, who might have something to offer smiley - smiley

Post 17

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Is there anything else to be added then, or is this ready for the off?

Post 18

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

My suggestions:

smiley - disco In the table at the beginning, the left column should probably be left-justified rather than centered, and in bold rather than in header format. "State Seal" should not be a proper noun -- "official state seal" is probably better. A link to the state site with the flag might be nice here. http://www.secstate.wa.gov/flag/

smiley - disco I would revise the sentence to clarify that Washington is the only state in the *US* to be named after a president.

smiley - disco The first paragraph in the history section is worded very choppily -- I had to read through a few times to be sure I understood what it was trying to say.

smiley - disco In the subheader section "Farming and New Settlers", there is virtually nothing about farming or farmers -- logging would not fall into that category. There were farmers during this time period, although maybe not as many as further south, in Oregon. Lots of history in the state during this timeframe about "gentleman farmers", who had no idea what they were doing. There were companies that set up "schools" in Washington to teach these men the fundamentals of farming -- the same companies also made money out of selling land, equipment, etc, and since so many of these farmers failed, they were then able to resell it all at the same price.

smiley - disco In terms of geography, I would definitely mention that Washington State is the furthest north of any place in the continental US -- many people incorrectly think it's Michigan or Maine.

smiley - disco When you talk about the rain, it's important to mention the two different ways rain is most often measured -- inches, and days. Washington is nowhere near the top in the former, what it's known for is the latter. It also isn't accurate to say that summers are dry in Seattle -- summers are *dry* in Phoenix and San Diego, in Seattle we still have decent amounts of rain in the summer, just not as often as the rest of the year. Oh, and I would mention that in large part because of the rain, northwest Washington is well known for its flowers -- people come from all over for the tulip festival.

smiley - disco There are lots of run-on sentences throughout the entry. I can go back through and try to point them out one by one, but it might be easier for you to take a run through first.

smiley - disco Some other good links to consider adding in:

The Mt St Helens volcano cam. http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/
Or even just a link to the park itself: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/

I'd probably also mention that Mt St Helens has had two "periods" of eruptions since the 1980 one. And also that while the total number of people killed was relatively small, the environmental impact was massive -- ash from the 1980 explosion reached the other side of the United States.

Here's a good link about Washington's state constitution, and it being admitted as a state -- http://www.secstate.wa.gov/history/constitution.aspx

smiley - disco And what about central Washington? You mention the mountains, but not the cities -- pretty substantial tourist attractions there, especially for people who like outdoorsy stuff and people who like kitsch.

smiley - cheers
Mikey

Post 19

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks for your reply, Mikey, and for taking time to wade through my entry. I'll have to think about your points and I'll let you know which ones I decide to act upon and why.

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

I'm still thinking. smiley - smiley I was away in London for a long weekend so I haven't had time yet.

Key: Complain about this post