A Conversation for Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency (Douglas Adams)

Understanding the plot of DGHDA

Post 1

cigardener Night Manager--How May I Help You ?--***ASK*ME*ABOUT*OUR*FRIED*PICKLES***

Yeah, about understanding the the plot of DGHDA; I have a few questions about that. I just re-read it for the second time since I first read it in the late 80's and I still just don't exactly get what the ending means. I think that part of the problem is that if I ever read the Colderidge poem, I don't remember it well enough to see how it relates to the plot of the book. How did Dirk's distracting of Colderidge thwart the ghost's plan ? What is the act of defacement or vandalism (I don't have the book handy right now to get the exact wording)--which I assume refers to the change made in the poem as a result of Dirk's distraction--and how does this acheive the desired result ? Somebody help me out and don't be afraid to spell it all out--I won't be insulted.
I look forward to hearing from someone.

Post 2

Omega 3 - The Mixing Dude

I think I can field that question, but like you I've probably read it twice and still don't understand it. The poem was written under the influence and I believe that was what convinced Michael to help him. I'm really not sure, but I thought that stopped him from getting to the time machine and changing history. I haven't read the book recently, either so it's hard to remember. I'll look into it though.

Omega 3smiley - cool

Post 3

cigardener Night Manager--How May I Help You ?--***ASK*ME*ABOUT*OUR*FRIED*PICKLES***

Thanks for your interest. Under "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" follow the thread "I recently read Dirk Gently....."--I think you'll find some info there. Posting the question you are replying to was one of the first things I did when discovered h2g2 and I hadn't learned to look around yet. Thanks for your interest and I welcome any thoughts you have. No one has all the answers.smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency (Douglas Adams)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more