A Conversation for The 'Carry On...' films

Carry On Christmas specials

Post 1

fandangofan

When are we going to see the Carry On Christmas specials repeated on T.V.?
They were massive ratings winners when first broadcast and although some have seen video releases the majority have not been repeated for many years.

These are excellent quality comedies and are well overdue a new airing.

Post 2

fords - number 1 all over heaven

You don't watch ITV1 or UK Gold much then, do you? smiley - winkeye

Post 3

Primord

They were on Channel 5 a few years back-maybe they'll bung 'em on this year smiley - smiley

Post 4

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

Channel 5 showed "Carry On Christmas" as part of an evening of "old-style entertainment" last Boxing Day. And the Boxing Day before that. smiley - smiley

Post 5

fandangofan

Channel 4 have only shown one of the Carry On Christmas specials which they repeated two years running. As far as gold is concerned I don't recall any of the Christmas specials featuring in their programming at least not last year.

Post 6

fandangofan

Sorry I meant Channel 5 repeated one episode two years running. The MUCH RAVED ABOUT classic Carry On Christmas featuring Frankie Howerd I have never seen on T.V.DESPITE MANY FANS PROCLAIMING THIS AS THE FAVOURITE AND BEST OF THE CARRY ON CHRISTMAS SPECIALS IT HAS NEVER HAD A VIDEO RELEASE EITHER.

Post 7

hazdec

It is about time we saw a DVD release of all of the Christmas specials. I know of only two of the specials being aired on T.V. in the past twelve months.Sadly non are featured as extras on the special edition DVD releases of the Carlton films.

Post 8

jillcarryonfan

There were six Carry On Christmas specials made and as far as I am aware only two have been shown on T.V. in the past two years.Certainly non feature on any DVD release and all video releases I fear are deleted.Although again there were only three I think of the actual specials ever released on video.

They were and are very funny additions to the film series and far beter than the Carry On laughing series itself.

Come on BBC or ITV lets see them again.

Post 9

BillBoosey

There were only four Carry On Christmas TV specials. They were made for 1969, 1970, 1972 and 1973.
The 1969 one with Frankie Howerd, is the one that Channel 5 (or just "5") has shown for the past two Christmas's, and will probably show again this year smiley - smiley.... and why not.
The 1972 ("Carry On Stuffing", video later re-titled to "Carry On Christmas Capers") and 1973 ones were released on video in the 1980s/1990s, but are now deleted.
And the 1970 programme (Carry On Long John) hasn't been seen since, well, erm, 1970. Actually, I'm lying, it was repeated once in the 1970s but I'm not sure when exactly.
It's about time somebody released these on DVD or at least vhs. There's no excuse not to really.

Post 10

jillcarryonfan

There was definately more

In 1983 there was the Carry On Laughing Christmas Classics

and I am sure in the 70's there was a rehashing of an earlier programme as well, although it may only have been a title change.

All could sit nicely on one DVD release Carry On Christmas specials

or a night of Carry On Christmas on UK gold

Post 11

BillBoosey

Indeed there was a 1983 "Carry On Laughing's Christmas Classics", but this was only a feature length compilation show of clips from the movies, and not a specially made Christmas show like the others. However, in its defence, it did have linking material presented by Barbara Windsor and Kenneth Williams, but that was the only original stuff in it. Much like "That's Carry On" (1978) this show led to the series of compilation shows called, confusingly, "Carry On Laughing", not to be confused with.... blah-de-blah-de-blah.

Key: Complain about this post