A Conversation for Anglican Psalm Singing

A2476064 - Anglican Psalm Singing

Post 21

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Sounds like a move back to the entry is the way to go, then. I'm not going to start up a new moves email until the last one has been sorted out, though.

smiley - cheers
Mikey

Post 22

Vip

Move whatever you like, sweetpea. I'll be a while on this entry, I'm going to concentrate on the bellringing one first as that is closer to completion.

High church/Low church. Hmmm. I guess the best definition I have is that the High church keep a lot of the old rituals that have been passed down through the centuries. The Low church is designed to get rid of a lot of the pomp and ceremony which that may feel gets in the way of the real spirituality of the religeon.

A fair comment, anyone?

Post 23

Vip

I believe that this thread was moved back to the article.

I'm back, and I've dusted off and revised this article. Are any of you here still around and able to cast another eye? I know it's been a while! I'll be putting it up for Peer Review too.

Thanks!

smiley - fairy

Post 24

Mol - on the new tablet

Still around but spending almost zero time in PR nowadays ... ping this one back up the list towards the weekend & I'll gladly revisit!

Mol

Post 25

Vip

Cheers, Mol, although unfortunately I'm going on holiday on Friday.
smiley - yikes I'm going on holiday on Friday. Sorry, guys. Should have waited until I got back.

smiley - fairy

Post 26

Rockhound

Hi Vip,
Hope you had a good holiday, I figured I write his now while I remembered, and then it’s there for when you get back.

smiley - musicalnote Yay! smiley - musicalnote … this is a nice entry, and a good companion piece to the Anglican Choral tradition one you’ve linked to. I’ve a couple of points, if I may (hopefully not too nitpicky!)

“The history of psalm singing goes back for several hundred years, starting with Thomas Tallis and his contempories and becoming standard in English churches by the 1800s”

smiley - star Errr, I would’ve thought singing psalms is as old as the Book of Psalms itself, I once heard them described at the ‘hymnbook of the Bible’: my NIV Bible has several footnotes explaining the musical directions. Psalm singing in the Roman/Protestant churches does indeed go back for ‘several hundred years, starting with…’ but that is not the *total* history of psalms smiley - winkeye What about:

“The history of psalm singing is as old as the Book of Psalms, however the Anglican tradition goes back for several hundred years, starting with Thomas Tallis and his contemporaries and becoming standard in English churches by the 1800s”

smiley - starIt might also be worth pointing out that some churches (my current one included) use a responsorial psalm (in this case as a gradual between the old and new testament readings during the Eucharist service on Sunday mornings) :

- organ plays the chant (melody line)
- cantor sings the response (organ plays accomp.)
- all (cantor, choir and congregation) sing response
- cantor sings ‘verses’, using chant .
- all sing response
- repeat for as longs as that day’s psalm lasts, finishing with a final response.

smiley - starAnd a couple of typos…

smiley - biro contempories -- > contemporaries
smiley - biro calander -- > calendar
smiley - biro inbetween -- > in between
smiley - biro sentances -- > sentences
smiley - biro prenounced -- > pronounced

Other than that smiley - ok. I had a google at lunchtime, but couldn’t find a better/clearer diagram of the chant than the wiki one smiley - sadface

Rockhound (evensong-loving alto)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more