This is the Message Centre for TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

The ever-changing names of TRiG.

Post 1

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

For a while, I was changing my name approximately once a week, on no particular principle. And, every time I changed it, I created a journal entry about the old name, the name I'd just stopped using.

This, I've decided, was rather sad.

And then I put an entry into PeerReview and decided to cut down my interest in other parts of h2g2 until it was through that process. So, on the 4th of August 2005, I changed my name tag to "I'm not ignoring you personally, I'm ignoring everyone until I get A3421289 through Peer Review". It didn't work. I did not reduce my interest in other parts of the site, and my entry's progress through the review process was painfully slow. And so may name remained static, until the entry got through Peer Review and was accepted, earlier today, for eventual inclusion in the Edited Guide.

So now I'm going to start changing my name again. But this time, I'll keep all that stuff in one single journal conversation: this one. That will leave the rest of my journal free for other stuff.

(I recently created two journal entries which were not related to my name changes. These are <./>T3452828</.> and <./>T3541010</.&gtsmiley - winkeye

TRiG.smiley - whistle

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - cheers (you never ignored me, did you?)smiley - evilgrin

Considering it was me who did the Scouty-type-business smiley - whistle I think you owe me a smiley - hug or something smiley - whistle

smiley - winkeye

Post 3

Don't flatter yourself, madam.

I'd changed my name and created this journal entry before I saw your post on the PR convo.

smiley - tongueout

Thanks for picking the entry, though!

TRiG.smiley - biggrin

Well, thank goodness for that!

Post 4

In thankfulness for having had my guide entry accepted from PR, as noted in post 1, I changed my name tag to what you see as the title of this post.

I've now changed it again.

TRiG_Ireland.smiley - smiley

Post 5

Some quick checking:

F1749280?thread=1595956 I'm not ignoring you ...
F50359?thread=3593603 Well, thank goodness ...
F135418?thread=1528864 Of what value ...

All this posts were made before my last change of name. So why has that last one been updated to the new name, given that no one has posted to it since? Interesting.

TRiG.smiley - geeksmiley - huh

Post 6

I checked F1749280?thread=1595956 again, as soon as I'd posted that, and saw that it had been updated. Why did it never show the Thank goodness name?

So, on a whim, I checked it in classic (frames): I'm not ignoring ....
Then in alabaster: Well, thank goodness ...
And back to brunel: Of what value ...
Plain: I'm not ignoring ...

More interesting.

And, as I was typing that, the other skins have been updated. I really would love to learn how this works. Anything to do with the number of page requests?

TRiG.smiley - geek

Post 7

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Frequent name-changing can be nothing but healthy smiley - ok And I know of what I speak smiley - tongueout It shows a willingness to try new things, look over new horizons, wonder what's on the other side of those hills.

Allowed to have its reign though, it can lead to impatience and a feeling of never being satisfied with what one has.

Striking a blance between the two is vitally important smiley - zen

Post 8

I have a list of about fifty name tags in a Notepad document. I've been building them up over the months that my entry was sitting in PR. It was over a year there. What's the record, do you know?

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Post 9

I recall one entry sitting at the bottom of PR for more than two years and another one only a month or two behind it. They were both either picked or removed about a year ago and I can't remember who wrote them or what they were about. I know that the author of the older of the two lives in Texas, several miles up I-35 from me and his name is on the tip of my tongue smiley - flustered If I could remember it I could find his space and the entry and then we might be able to get an idea of how long it was in PR from the attached PR thread, as long as he hasn't deleted the entry.

Post 10

aka Bel - A87832164

Hello TriG, congratulations for eventually having had your entry through PR.
Look forward to your name changes. smiley - ok

Bel

(Btw, I read your latest bug report. I sometimes get an error message in the alabaster skin, and I agree with you: it's too bright and hurts my eyes. Classic is even worse, though, I can't read anything in classic.)

Of what value is the grain of sand at the heart of a pearl?

Post 11

The above, my name tag for the past week, is the closing line of the opening paragraph of the thirty-second chapter of Richard Adam's novel Shardik. It's a strange book by a strange writer. He tends to go off on little poetic diversions at the beginnings of his chapters. In this one, he's talking about the rough facts that went into the making of a beautiful myth. His story, usually immediate and vivid, occasionally pulls away and looks back on these shattering events through the veils of time and legend.

I enjoyed reading it, anyway. It made an impression on me.

And there's a small prize (if I can think of one) for anyone who can find the origin of my current nomenclatic revision.

I remain,
forevermore,
TRiG.smiley - smiley

Post 12

With, or without Google? smiley - tongueout

Post 13

A bit of googling found this, which has some clues in it.

http://www.jamesots.com/site/blog/37

But nah, better if ye don't use Google. Or Yahoo! More fun without.

TRiG.smiley - lighthouse

Post 14

In that case, I'm not gonna get this one.

Post 15

Well, "Gosho, Gosho, everywhere and all the boards did shrink" is hardly a challenge, is it? But I've understood very few of your other lines.

TRiG.smiley - evilgrin

Post 16

aka Bel - A87832164

All I can say is, that it does sound Turkish to me.

Post 17

Um. Going nowhere there, I think.

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Post 18

aka Bel - A87832164

Well, then maybe it's Suaheli?

Post 19

aka Bel - A87832164

Do you know the literal sense of Abrakadabra? It comes from the times when mass and any service were still held in Latin, and the common man didn't understand a word of what was said. As Abrakadabra was an old word which was closely linked to something magical, what the priests told was all just 'Abrakadabra' for most. smiley - biggrin

Post 20

At one time, a lot of the priests didn't know Latin either. Used to just mumble. In some parts of the world, anyway. (I think that was in Peter de Rosa's book, Vickers of Christ.)

I recall reading that Vatican II didn't mandate that the mass be said in the vernacular: it provided for it, and implied that it should be done occasionally, but the intent was that Latin would remain the usual tongue. I do not, however, recall where I read it.

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more