This is the Message Centre for Ivan the Terribly Average

Several topics in search of a connection.

Post 1

Ivan the Terribly Average

Someone or other (EM Forster? Maybe, it doesn't really matter, all I can remember at the moment is that it was someone famous who is now dead) said, of writing stories, 'only connect'. I know what he was getting at; throw the reader back on their own resources once the facts are established and the story will live. At least that's what I think right now; there has been a bit of Bacardi this evening so I can't vouch for the commonsense levels in anything I write now.

But the fact is, sometimes the bits and pieces of life don't connect in any sense other than occurring to the same person on the same day.

Today I've spent many hours in an office, discussed funeral arrangements, planned a wardrobe revamp, consumed lashings of white rum, spoken at length to an old friend who wasn't having a drink because she was hungover, planned a trip to Sydney in January (the Dresden Dolls are playing, and they're not coming to Canberra), looked with horror at a power bill and purchased the new Kate Bush CD.

(That's not something one says often, 'new Kate Bush CD'. I'm happy about there being a new Kate Bush CD. I like it a lot, but then I'm a fanboy from ages back.)

Anyway. My point, such as it is, is that none of these events appear to be connected in any real sense. None of these events triggered any of the other events. The drinkies may yet cause me to fall over or trip over something, but that's unknowable at this stage. It's all just a piece of life, which doesn't have any discernable pattern or reason.

But mostly it's the basis of a journal entry I'll read again when I'm sober, and I will blush to see what tosh I've written just to make sure there's a journal entry from me today. smiley - silly Nine days to go!

smiley - stiffdrinkIvan.

*hic*

Post 2

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

smiley - stiffdrinksmiley - ok

Post 3

Deb

Here, have another smiley - stiffdrink.

I liked reading a journal, at the start of my day, which is recently posted but obviously at the end of your day. It reminds me of the international nature of this place, which I do forget at times.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Post 4

Heleloo - Red Dragon Incarnate

here's some smiley - cake to go with that smiley - stiffdrinksmiley - ok

Post 5

Ivan the Terribly Average

Cheers! smiley - biggrin

*hic*

I should go to bed quite soon.

Post 6

Titania (gone for lunch)

Only 9 days left?smiley - yikes Thanks for reminding me Ivan - I'll need to think about how to cram in the rest of the story smiley - run

Post 7

Researcher 14993127

smiley - cat

Post 8

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

9 days left indeed. 9 days without alcohol for me that is...

But on the upside the first 21 days are already behind me smiley - biggrin

We've trusted you with some of our royals, Ivan. One of them being Australian born. Tasmanian, actually. I hope you will find them entertaining smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Post 9

hellboundforjoy

I love Kate Bush from way back too. I'll have to check out that album.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Ivan the Terribly Average

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more