This is the Message Centre for Ivan the Terribly Average

Market day

Post 1

Ivan the Terribly Average

I dragged myself along to the Sunday markets today, for the first time in absolute ages. This entailed catching three buses and being rained on from time to time, but it was all good fun, especially listening to the two deaf old dears who were gossiping in very loud whispers about the purely personal habits of other people at their church. It was almost a pity to leave the bus at the markets because now I'll never know the full story of the scandal behind the 2009 church fete.

The markets were good, well up to their usual standard for handmade things and fresh local produce and secondhand books, but my favourite stalls weren't there this week so it wasn't all I'd hoped it would be. But never mind, I could still get some Ethiopian samosas (beef mince, coriander, spring onion, a hint of chili and a bit of something I can't identify in a thin crisp pastry) which always make everything better. (A lentil version is also available.)

I went outside to eat and looked across the lake to Mt Ainslie. It was very still, the clouds were low and the rain was gentle. Someone somewhere started playing didgeridoo, which added to the atmosphere. There's something about a didge, played by a competent person, that adds an extra dimension to a misty day.

I was standing there pondering on this and that, spilling bits of samosa down my shirt, when I was approached by a very nice man who has a hand in running the markets. He's very nice-looking, in fact. I've been distracted by him on many occasions, but I've never spoken to him before. I didn't really speak to him this time either because I was tongue-tied and had a mouthful of food and was trying to brush bits of food off me as well. Not that it mattered; he just wanted me to move three feet to the right so he could set up the 'No Dogs' sign at the side door.

Life really is a let-down sometimes.

smiley - stiffdrinkIvan.

Market day

Post 2

frenchbean

smiley - laugh Oh dear, I'm sorry about the let-down, Ivan smiley - laugh Life stinks sometimes...

Where were the markets? I must admit to really missing Australian markets. We don't do them nearly as well over this side of the Ditch. It was great being in FNQ last week to visit some proper ones there smiley - ok Not Kuranda any more, sadly... it's gone to the dogs smiley - sadface

Fb smiley - star

Market day

Post 3

Fb, these are them: http://www.obdm.com.au/ As with all things in Canberra, including the lake, it's a bit contrived but the handicrafts are first-class and the spice blends and pastes are most useful.

Market day

Post 4

Heleloo - Red Dragon Incarnate

I miss the markets in Can'tberra, and those samosa.........I am drooling at the thought of them smiley - drool

Market day

Post 5

Sol

Never mind the markets, I am disappointed you didn't stick it out and find out about the great scandal of the 2009 church fete.

I love evesdropping on public transport. It's completely guilt free evesdropping.

Market day

Post 6

Titania (gone for lunch)

smiley - bluebutterfly

Market day

Post 7

Deb

smiley - cheerup

Market day

Post 8

Researcher 14993127

smiley - cat

Market day

Post 9

hellboundforjoy

I love the digiridoo part. That makes it perfect. Until that distracting chap asked you to move, that is.

Market day

Post 10

Oh, look. He can interrupt me with his temporary signage any day. smiley - blush

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Ivan the Terribly Average

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more