This is the Message Centre for Ivan the Terribly Average

Home again...

Post 1

Ivan the Terribly Average

Hi everyone.

Despite the best efforts of Qantas, I've made it home. Hurrah for that. Living out of a suitcase, even in one's mother's house and the houses of friends, gets a bit draining after a while.

Have I missed anything important?

I'll turn the highlights of the trip into journal entries over the next few days. Right now I'll just say that today's flights were nightmares, with the first being delayed and the second aborted during take-off. But a spare plane was found and I got here, and so did my luggage, so I shouldn't really ask for more.

Now, I'm off to assess the scale of the backlog, answer a few threads, and collapse with exhaustion. Before that, though, I need some Red.

smiley - redwineIvan.

Home again...

Post 2

Hati

smiley - redwine

Good to have you back! smiley - hug

Home again...

Post 3

azahar

<>

You mean besides me? smiley - winkeye

Nice to have you home, honey! smiley - smooch

az

Home again...

Post 4

HonestIago

Welcome back, you've missed loads, just think of all the backlog you're gonna have to wade through
smiley - tongueout

Home again...

Post 5

originalBillyBob

Glad to have you back safe and sound. Looking forward to reading all about it in your journal. smiley - redwinesmiley - biggrin

Home again...

Post 6

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Welcome home! smiley - smooch

Oh I have missed you! smiley - hug

Home again...

Post 7

Heleloo - Red Dragon Incarnate

yay smiley - somersault Ivans back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!smiley - biggrin

hope it was a good trip

smiley - hug

Home again...

Post 8

dutchbuzzer

whooot i will drink some on thatsmiley - bubblysmiley - bubbly

Home again...

Post 9

tanzen

Well, there was a fireman conga line coming through every hour on the hour last Tuesday...but apart from that, you didn't miss too much smiley - bigeyes

Glad you're back, kid, I hope your holiday was relaxing and enjoyable smiley - cuddlesmiley - smooch

Home again...

Post 10

Pinky

I missed you too Ivan Love Pinky xxx

Home again...

Post 11

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

Yay! Ivan is backsmiley - biggrin

Home again...

Post 12

Lady Pennywhistle - Back with a vengeance! [for a certain, limited value of Vengeance; actual amounts of Vengeance may vary]

smiley - wowIVAN! smiley - runsmiley - runsmiley - hug Glad you're back. smiley - biggrin

Home again...

Post 13

smiley - blush It's nice to know I was missed... smiley - flustered

I was going to start journalising the trip tonight, but my brain is still addled by returning to w*rk. Maybe tomorrow. There will eventually be a piece about wineries in the Barossa and another about wineries in McLaren Vale, and a long piece about Kangaroo Island (where they have some wineries), and a piece about Adelaide (which has many good pubs which serve wine), and maybe a piece about the time I spent with my family (drinking wine). There might even be a piece about a very untidy wine-fuelled evening...smiley - erm

Not that I spent the entire time drinking. I went to some bookshops as well. Oh, and a wedding.

Right now, though, I fancy a drink. Anyone for smiley - redwine? The cellar's open.

(Lady P - A question for you, while I'm thinking of it. I saw a cafe with a sign advertising kosher coffee. What makes coffee kosher - or non-kosher, for that matter?)

Home again...

Post 14

Lady Pennywhistle - Back with a vengeance! [for a certain, limited value of Vengeance; actual amounts of Vengeance may vary]

A piece of paper.

There is nothing about coffee per se that can be kosher or not-kosher, so basically it's just a matter of whether the Rabbinate was payed to produce a certificate saying it's kosher, or not...
Of course, the _place_ might be kosher, if it keeps kashrut, i.e. not mixing meat and dairy etc.

Home again...

Post 15

In that case, I'm assuming the Rabbinate approved the coffee beans. The establishment itself also offered sandwiches containing beef, cheese and tomato, so the place itself isn't especially... Oh well. Not that it matters to me; apart from being atheist, I don't drink coffee.

Thanks for the explanation. I was baffled... I knew there were ways of rendering wine kosher, but I couldn't see how coffee would be affected.

Home again...

Post 16

When it comes to wine, the requirement is basically that it will not be touched by a non-Jew at any point. Even if it's in a bottle at a store. Dates back to the time of wine offerings to the (foreign) gods and all that, which of course makes it absolutely ridiculous nowadays. But hey, who's looking for sense in religion?

Home again...

Post 17

smiley - erm You're right, there's no point in looking for sense in any of this. Especially not the bit about foreign gods. I thought one of the points of monotheism was that other gods don't exist, so it would be logically impossible for wine to be offered to one... smiley - headhurts

But then again - here's one of my favourite lines from 'The Lion in Winter': 'In a world where carpenters get resurrected, anything is possible'.

Home again...

Post 18

smiley - laughsmiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post