This is the Message Centre for Ivan the Terribly Average

Should I subscribe?

Post 1

Ivan the Terribly Average

I've been back here for two weeks now, and I need to find some reason to stay. Feel free to recommend things that are worth the trouble of subscribing.

(I've already ruled out the Forum, and I don't believe in the Underguide.)

Is Ask any good these days?

Is PR as savage and bitchy as it was, or are people behaving better in there now?

Should I subscribe?

Post 2

tartaronne

Hi Ivan

I'm subscribed to PR but alas only find time to read and contribute to very few entries.

I've haven't seen any bitchiness in the discussions and suggestions of those entries.

Good to 'see' you smiley - smiley

tartaronne

Should I subscribe?

Post 3

Hati

In PR it all depends on your sensitivity level. smiley - zen

Should I subscribe?

Post 4

tartaronne

smiley - biggrin

Should I subscribe?

Post 5

Wilma Neanderthal

I think PR is behaving rather better than of a while back, Ivan. I haven't managed to get back in the swing of things yet myself though.. there seems to be an odd handholding thing going on and I am wondering whether is a swing too far of the pendulum, as it were... But yeah, no, pretty much gone are the days of slash and burn in PR. The occasional outburst can be forgiven I think, though. There are only 4 LEDs and most of the stuff in there over a week still needs work doing but is not getting too much attention. I'd go peek before committing to actually subscribing...

W

Should I subscribe?

Post 6

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I'm not subbed to Ask but I do go there every few days and have a look at the most interesting subject lines. I have Ask bookmarked to show 100 threads so I can easily see back over a few days.

If I get really bored I start my own threads smiley - zen

I'm subbed to PR by mistake, and keep meaning to unsub. I used to just go and have a look once or twice a week, it's more fun that way. Again, I have PR bookmarked to list by most recently added (link on my PS if you need it). I do the same thing with SEx only less frequently.

Should I subscribe?

Post 7

Thanks everyone.

I'll lurk about in Ask and PR before making my mind up about subscribing. I'm glad to know PR is no longer a bloodbath. smiley - smiley

Is there anywhere else that's particularly worth looking into? SEx I don't really understand all that well, but I could subscribe and just sit up the back nodding knowledgeably like I used to in lectures, I suppose.

Should I subscribe?

Post 8

Hati

You are one busy bee, Ivan. I hardly manage to keep up with journals of my friends and my usual hang-outs. smiley - laugh

Should I subscribe?

Post 9

I don't really have anu usual hangouts now. I suppose that's what I'm trying to arrange, really - a place or two to be when I'm here.

I just subbed to PR, but I've told myself that I'm to unsub immediately if I find myself getting irritated.

Should I subscribe?

Post 10

Hati

Yeah, I have this summerhouse. smiley - winkeye

Should I subscribe?

Post 11

I'll pay a visit tomorrow... smiley - biggrin

Should I subscribe?

Post 12

HonestIago

I keep on meaning to subscribe to SEx, I do like the sort of conversations that go on there and they do show what hootoo can be at its best, participants are usually polite, well-informed and fun to read

Should I subscribe?

Post 13

I mght as well subscribe, and run the risk of accidentally learning something. smiley - silly

Should I subscribe?

Post 14

Hati

I am subscribed to SEx, sometimes it's fun to read. Not that I ever have anything to say there. smiley - laugh

Should I subscribe?

Post 15

Right now, I think I'll go and sleep for a while... Tomorrow, I'll do some subscribing.

Should I subscribe?

Post 16

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I don't subscribe to Ask, either, but I do check every day for any convos I might find interesting- and usually find some in which to talk and others in which to "lurk" a bit.

While it might not be of too much interest, fords has kindly given me the reins to the Hootoo Vegetarian Society and I'll be running that show, so if you ever whip up any fab meatless entrees, I'd love it if you would share your "recipes" there.

Should I subscribe?

Post 17

Ys, I'll do that - every so often I do concoct something that doesn't have bits of corpse in it. Does HVS accept cheese?

Should I subscribe?

Post 18

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I've checked out most of the recipes I've found there (they mainly link to guide entries containing recipes, but feel free to start a new convo thread there and at some point perhaps I can compile a "cookbook"), and eggs and cheese are included in the non-vegan sections. I imagine most people who don't consume dairy have a fair idea of how to substitute stuff.

I recall an occasion where you'd prepared and shared about some concoction that sounded absolutely decadent, and I remember it didn't contain any corpses. You sound like a great cook.

A lot of the special interest type pages around h2 seem to have slowed down a bit. I'll make sure I mention any interesting action I see about the place. smiley - winkeye

Should I subscribe?

Post 19

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

I'm subscribed to a stack of Edited Guide entries, almost all that I've ever read, in fact. There isn't much chatting on such Guide Entries, but they do occasionally turn up something interesting.

Also, as a curator, I'm subscribed to EF F47997?thread="/h2g2/forum/19585" >F19585, Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community F55607?thread="/h2g2/forum/135418" >F135418?thread=3880392.

I'm also subscribed to my friends' journals, of course, and my friends list has been growing of late.

TRiG.smiley - puff

Should I subscribe?

Post 20

Thanks, TRiG.

I really can't go back to the Forum, as that place gives me the urge to stick pins in my eyes. Or possibly in someone else's eyes, if I'm in an extrovert mood and there's a suitable candidate. (There usually is, in that place.)

So I'm back in PR, for the time being. I haven't the time to write entries myself, and I really can't face excessive proofreading and editing - I get paid for doing that, and really don't want to do something that feels like w*rk in my spare time. So I'm not sure what I'm there for, exactly. *sigh* Trying to contribute, this time around, is proving harder than I expected.

Key: Complain about this post