A Conversation for American Slang

Soft Drinks

Post 1

FOX

I am from the West coast, and spending time out in boston right now. I would like to point out that "POP" is used on the WEST coast, and "SODA" is used on the east coast

Soft Drinks

Post 2

AuntieM

Sorry, I disagree. "Pop" is used by folks in the Mid-West and "Soda" is used by people from the West. I was born and raised in Lake Wobegon, Minnesota. We only used the word "Pop" to talk about a soft drink and when I moved to California (where I have lived for over 32 years) they made fun of me because no one know what Pop was...I quickly learned to say "Soda". I just returned from a visit to MN and they still say "Pop"...and we in CA still say "Soda". What part of the West do you hear "Pop" used?

Soft Drinks

Post 3

Golly Peach

Living in New Mexico it is soda, when I grew up in Kansas and Missouri it was soda pop. So I suppose as you travel across the nation it transforms left to right from soda to soda pop to pop. Except in some local areas where certainly every carbonated beverage is a coke.

Soft Drinks

Post 4

Gnostic Jesus

In Canada we say pop. My American girlfriend (from Pennsylvania) used to make fun of me for it, but a mutual friend from Minnesota also says pop, so I don't feel quite so alone in that.

Soft Drinks

Post 5

dade

well, i m from florida and we all just say coke. no matter what carbonated beverage it is. if its got fizz then its coke and we ll be more than happy to make fun of anybody who calls it anything else cause thats just the way we are smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more