A Conversation for American Slang

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 1

wsfn

Da bomb! is used currently as an expression of good stuff -- That gig last night was da bomb, dude! (The concert last night was great, friend! -- although dude can also be an adjetive -- wow!)

There is also "PFAT". That girl is pfat! - Pretty, Fine, And Tasty!

wsfn

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 2

Kopaylopa aka. Kayla Poponayla

If you're going to describe a slang word at least know how to spell it!!!

the word is "PHAT"

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 3

what you know as km

It's a different word—"phat" is "pretty hot and tempting," isn't it?

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 4

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

two of the newest and gayest additions to American slang, which assures us that they'll never go away....smiley - sigh

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 5

what you know as km

Completely agree. It's insanely difficult to refrain from giving people a good solid knock in the head when they use either.

You know, now that I really think about it, it's that attitude that gives us such a nasty reputation as Americans.

I'm not complaining of course. It's just an observation.

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 6

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

All the guns we own don't help.....

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 7

RiffRaff

Well, I've only ever seen it spelled 'phat'. 'Pfat' might be a left-coast variant, although I hope you're just wrong. smiley - smiley And I've NEVER heard it to be an acronym - the very thought makes me want to crush skulls.

BTW, for the uninformed, it's pronounced 'FAT', unless you're annoying like me, in which case it's pronounced 'PEA-HAT'.

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 8

what you know as km

The fact that half of us own them to protect us from the other half probably just doubles the disgrace.

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 9

Amanda

I'm almost positive it's "Phat". The fact that I'm completely uncool and totally unhip and would most likely want to spell it "Pfat" if I ever had the chance in a social setting further backs up my claim that it's spelled "Phat".

Or something.

Another really annoying one - two, actually. Both dealing with the hush-hush subject of excrement and the first is a suffix for one mentioned above: "Da bomb".

"Da bomb ass sh**", i.e. "That show was da bomb ass sh**!"

Ahem.

And then: "Cracked my sh** up", as in "This topic really cracks my sh** up!" Not nearly as bad, but still you get the point...

America. Land of the free, home of the witty colloquialisms.

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 10

Majikthise

Can you expand on that? "This topic really cracks my sh** up!" puts the comment in context, but doesn't explain what it means. I assume the topic in question doesn't have a disintegrating effect on one's faeces.

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 11

Amanda

Oh, I certainly hope not! No, I merely think the point there is to show just how humorous something is, i.e. "cracking up" = laughing. To the extreme. And I've never seen it associated with anything other than humor, which is kind of odd. Anger: "That really pisses my s*** up!" No, no...it just doesn't work.

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 12

Farquar

Ok, I'm probably going to be really unpopular with this, but I happen to like using the term "Da Bomb". True, I use it tounge in cheek, but then, I do that with almost all of the street slang I use. I know it's silly, but I think it's fun. I think it's origin is something to do with the 70's TV show "What's Happenin" The tall skinny character used to say "Dynomite" about something that was good. Something is so hot it is about to explode, or something like that.

BTW. Whatever happened to the term SOLID?

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 13

RiffRaff

Solid! Yeah, man! I haven't heard that one in ages.

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 14

Farquar

Conversation with Solid.

"How was that band last night man?"

"Solid!"

"Oh yeah?"

"Like a rock, baby."

I love it!

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 15

saffire

does da bomb = all that and a bag of chips?
-saffiresmiley - smiley

My two cents.

Post 16

Aleric B

Item one: I've never seen it spelled pfat. Always been phat. And to the best of my knowledge, it's always been and acronym.

Item two: Solid. Wow. That's an oldie. What about "heavy"? Haven't heard that one since the eighties...

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 17

Aleric B

What exactly is the "left coast"?? 'Cause if I stand facing north, then the west coast is left. If I face south, the east coast is left. If I face east, then Canada is left. And so forth.

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 18

wsfn

PHAT and PFAT have the same origins...I think the one may only be mid-western US where its gotten wrong. (and even if its not capitalized both have always been acronyms). Both are pronounced FAT.

What about Kewel? That one annoys me beyond belief.

wsfn

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 19

saffire

i hate kewl
i hate kewel
i hate especially quool

on a different note, i sort of like saying 'damn straight' (i hear you, of course, i agree, etc......)

another fun word is 'mad' - as in, that was mad fun (very fun)...he is mad cute (quite good looking)...i have mad work to do (i have a lot
of work to do)...

a little ghetto talk, in other wordssmiley - winkeye
-saffire
oh, another one is 'my bad' - that was my fault, im sorry

Da bomb! and PFAT

Post 20

RiffRaff

how about 'khule'?

Key: Complain about this post