This is the Message Centre for Websailor

Aspergers Computer Hacker in trouble

Post 1

Websailor

Sun. 5th July 09 I don't think anything has made me see red this much in a long time:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197182/Betrayal-naive-hacker-Why-MPs-doing-help-Aspergers-victim-Gary.html

I have met people with Aspergers and it is obvious to anyone with any sensitivity that they have a number of serious problems, in spite of being very bright. Single mindedness and an inability to quite understand the world around them being two of them. Many of you will have a much better idea of the problems than I do.

Total frustration with our weak Government which allows us to lie down and be walked all over is only part of the problem. The total overkill attitude of the US is beyond belief. Caught with their pants down and embarrassed at their own shortcomings is an understatement. Taking it out on a vulnerable person is not the way I expected Obama's administration to handle such a matter.

I wish this man, and his mother all the luck in the world, but lets hope decent people can put this matter to rest once and for all. With all the real criminals and terrorists given free rein here, the US and the UK should think again. This is taking a sledgehammer to crack and nut and is the most appalling case of bullying of a vulnerable person I have ever seen.

I hope this is read before it gets yikesed, if it does.

Post 2

Sho - employed again!

People have been warning about this for years.
And anyone who remembers how little success we had extraditing members of the IRA for trial to the UK will not be surprised at this.

The question is: will the British government stand up to it? and why did it fail in Europe?

Post 3

Moving On

If your post is yiksed WS, smiley - dontpanic - I've book marked your link.smiley - ok

It's sooo much easier to pick on the little, (weaker) guy, isn't itsmiley - tongueincheek

If the PTB had any sense atall they'd hire the guy to help them make sure the little green men he ardently believes in can't hack into the (apparent) good guys computors. He'd be happy. And hopefully well paid, as well.

And no doubt *this post'll be yiksed for politically incorrect observations and opinions

smiley - rolleyes

Free speech?

smiley - flyingpig

Post 4

Websailor

The US should hang its head in shame if they cannot protect their data better than that, but then who are we to criticise with the shambolic data 'protection' we have here!

I agree the likes of him should be employed to sort out the security. it beggars belief that it is that easy to access sensitive stuff. I dread to think what would have happened if he had really been a terrorist. They should have put up and shut up instead of making an issue of it. I believe some ladies of repute are on the case so perhaps they can achieve the impossible and make the powers that be back off and hang their heads in shame.

Websailor smiley - dragon

Post 5

Sho - employed again!

I would have thought that the obvious solution was a kind of 'poacher turned gamekeeper' one where they offer him a job trying to hack their new systems.

He'd probably enjoy it and probably wouldn't even cost much.

Post 6

Moving On

Agreed, Sho - and much as I suggested in my first post - we just used different terminologysmiley - smiley

However, I reckon he ought to be paid a WHACKING great wage - firstly because his skills are worth every penny, or cent, whichever you like;and secondly, since the US is a "compensation culture", the paranoid smiley - bleepers deserve to have his services cost them a blasted mint!smiley - evilgrin

Post 7

Sho - employed again!

sorry - I'm watching TV too... smiley - blush

Post 8

Websailor

smiley - applause

Post 9

PedanticBarSteward

There was an 'Auntie' radio play about it some time ago. It put it all into perspective. I could understand the G Dubbya paranoia but I had hoped that Obama might see sense.

The 'politics of fear' persist in the Untied Straits - a terrible hangover of Calvinism - money is good combined with 'they are out to get us'.

Give America back to the Native Americans and send the rest home.

Post 10

Anoldgreymoonraker Free Tibet

It's still up so maybe something good will come of it still being here smiley - cheersWS

Post 11

AlsoRan80

Dear Evadme Clark,

I agree completely with your solution. I do not even know what it means to hack!!

In Real life there are places which are restricted. Airports, military areas, and suchlike. Should there perhaps now be restricted areas in cyberspace? I could think of several areas such as when exploring space and also space shuttles which should be restricted cyberspace areas And if they are restricted and they are broken into then those who have broken into the restricted space should be punished and Aspergers should not be used as an excuse.

If there are restricted areas they should not be entered. That would be the solution I think.

I think that that is perhaps the problem. No-one has foreseen that cyberspace needs restricted areas as much as one does in Real Life.

AlsoRan80

Post 12

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

please don't take this the wrong way and I am not intending it to be an argument of any kindsmiley - smiley

I'm NOT backing the person, but too many people use a disability as a cop out and to say he was innocently "looking" for evidence of aliens, using his disease as the "innocent" part, not saying he's guilty or not, but a good lawyer/s can bend any truth/untruth and this will be another media circus for someone to exploit for ££££/$$$$'s

Post 13

Websailor

For once Prof, you have surprised me. And for once I don't agree, in this specific case, though I understand and agree with your thinking, that disability should not be used as an excuse if a person understands exactly what he has done wrong.

He has admitted guilt in that he hacked in to the computers but is adamant there was no other motive than finding evidence of aliens (or little green men). Since the US is so defensive about UFOs and other strange happenings perhaps he was on to something they would rather we didn't know. However, they gave no proof of the so called 'damage' he had done and it seems to me that he did them a favour in highlighting woefully lax security.

However, Aspergers and Autism would be a defence I think, because their thinking and understanding of the world is so different. As his condition wasn't diagnosed till late his attitudes would be deeply entrenched.

I had hoped someone with real experience of Aspergers would comment, but there is still time.

Post 14

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

disability should not be used as an excuse if a person understands exactly what he/she has done wrong. smiley - smiley

That's what I was trying to say, Webbie, just came over wrong as per

Post 15

Websailor

smiley - smiley

I think things are moving and he should get a more fairer result. Dragging it out for five years seems punishment enough to me. I dread to think what he would go through in prison here, never mind the US.

Normally I would say they should throw the book at someone who did that, but not in this case.

Key: Complain about this post