A Conversation for The h2g2 Formula One Supporters' Club

Should Max Mosley resign?

Post 1

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7339052.stm

Max Mosley's future as FIA president will be decided by a vote of confidence at the organisation's extraordinary general assembly on 3 June.

His position has been under threat after the News of the World newspaper claimed that Mosley took part in a "Nazi-style orgy in a torture dungeon"

---

This means that his position is safe until at least June 3rd, some two months after the story broke, and yet he was asked not to attend last weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix because of the controversy. If he's too embarrassing to attend the GPs, how can he possibly keep his position for another two months? smiley - huh

Post 2

me[Andy]g

I think maybe the issue was that that particular GP was in Bahrain, and that's why he didn't go...

But he should resign now anyway. I didn't realise until today that he was Oswald Mosley's son... he should resign just because of that IMO, but any other reason would be fine too smiley - winkeye

Post 3

So why is he too embarrassing for Bahrain, but not for anywhere else? Germany, say?

Post 4

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

Personally that fact that it was in The News of The World makes me assume it's not even remotely true as neither that paper, nor it's sister, The Sun, are good at dealing with facts.

I think he should have been gotten rid of after some of his decisions during the Schumacher years but this I think is irrelevant to his position.

Also it's more embarrassing in Bahrain than, say, Germany, as unlike in Bahrain you can pay to do that kind of stuff in Germany as well, in fact, as most of the rest of the world.

smiley - cheers

Post 5

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

If he's still in power by the time of the German GP he may be asked to stay away, if too many countries ask him to stay away he might have to bow to the inevitable, if he's still in power, I can't see how he can survive this, he's upset too many people in the past and they could use this to finally get rid of him. He was asked to stay away from Bahrain because he might offend the Royal Family, then the Shiek himself wrote and asked him not to come, from what I can understand anyway

Post 6

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Hmm, should Max Mosley resign?

Does Dolly Parton sleep on her back?

smiley - bigeyes

Post 7

Al Johnston

As far as the facts go, he's denying that any of the activities were "Nazi-style" but not that they occurred.

As nothing actually illegal took place, he has a point in his defence, but if he's going to claim that what went on was entirely private, he should have taken more effective steps to keep it so.

Post 8

aGuyCalledPaff

Personally, I think he was set-up. However, they say you can't con an honest man, so set-up or no set-up, he still did what he did (and doesn't deny it). His term in FIA presidency office is up soon anyway. This will certainly see that he doesn't run again, assuming he lasts that long.

Thing is, if he resigns now, who will take over?
smiley - star Jean Todt has been distancing himself gradually from Ferrari, presumably to line himself up as FIA president, but surely this would be too soon for him?
smiley - star Richard Parry-Jones stepped down from the Ford board last year and is definitely on the list of Mosley successors. You don't hear much about him though, so is he high profile enough?
smiley - star Tony Purnell is FIA Tech Consultant, mostly dealing with F1. I'd love to see him in the job, but he's too good a choice so won't stand a chance.

Are there any other options, I wonder?

smiley - ciderPaff

Post 9

Jeremy Clarkson? smiley - run

Post 10

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

I've read about Jean Todt being groomed to take over, BUT, no matter how far he distances himself from Ferrari, the other teams will still be paranoid about his decisions, he's close to Max Mosley too which a lot of people are assuming is the reason for the FIA's 'Pro Ferrari stance' (I'm quoting last week's Autosport here) they're not going to really want another man who's close to Ferrari

Post 11

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I think Max Mosely does an excellent job and should stay in his current role for as long as he wants Further to this, he is clearly completely impartial with regard to decisions which may end up favouring one team over another.

Any views and opinions I may have expressed previously which appears to contradict the above were made whilst I was not in possession of all the relevant facts...specifically the fact that I appear to be related to him, on my mother's side.

smiley - cheers

Post 12

Al Johnston

I think we've found our new FIA President! smiley - evilgrin

Post 13

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Flicking through internet motorsport sites this weekend, I find Bernie has withdrawn his support for Max, he's got no hope now. More worrying is the fact he's putting his weight behind Jean Todt to replace Mosely

Post 14

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Only cos Todt stuck up for Mosley, I reckon smiley - erm

Post 15

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Todt has been groomed for years by Mosely to take over, according to what I've read all the teams (Bar one obviously) are up in arms because they think Ferrari will have an unfair advantage, so no change there then

Post 16

Oh, what a surprise. smiley - rolleyes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7430939.stm

Post 17

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

smiley - bleep how the hell can he keep going if half the royal families and premier's don't want him in their countries

Post 18

I'm more interested in what'll happen if the US pull out of the FIA after all the money Bernie's spent trying to knock Indicar off the top with F1, will there still be a US Grand-prix? Will F1 go back to Cuba if the yanks aren't involved? smiley - winkeye After all Cubans love their cars and bikes almost as much as the Italians and Cuban mechs can fix anything with household items, tin snips and a big hammer, hell they make Macgyver and the A-Team look like incompetent amateurs.

smiley - cheers

Post 19

There isn't a US Grand Prix this year anyway, so knowing Bernie a Cuban GP is a distinct possibility. smiley - winkeye

Post 20

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

It'll also be interesting to see how the German and Japanese members react, if they pull out and the funding and F1 teams go with them, there goes 70% of the grid

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more