This is the Message Centre for Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 1

Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

It is wonderful to walk along the dry sandy river beds in spring in the Karroo.

This most fascinating part of South Africa, situated in the north eastern part of the Cape Province has the most spectacular flora - and also flash floods.

Along the river banks of these dry streams are scrubby looking trees with fearsome three inch long white very sharp thorns. It is only in spring that they take on a festive air and clothe themselves with feathery green little leaves and then - literally overnight, these puffs of yellow balls burst out and one is literally assailed with their delicious perfume.

There is a type called Acacia Dealbata which looks very like it - found on Google, but I do not know how to show you the link. I am going to go and look it up in my South African Wild Flower Book and see if I can find out more.

In my copy of Sima Eliavson's Wild Flowers of South Africa under the heading
Acacia Karroo, she writes

"This is the most common species in South Africa,,, Also known as the Doringboom (Thorn Tree) She remarks that when the leaves fall they expose the long,white paired thorns for a long period!....."
|Must smiley - run and get ready for Mass.

The Nottingham Hill devotee smiley - schooloffish

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 2

Websailor

Hi, Christiane,

That is most interesting. Flowers that bloom after flash floods are so wonderful. A real miracle.smiley - cheerup

You have just solved a dilemma for me. I have something for which I was looking for a suitable home, with someone who would appreciate it, so I am going to send it to you. smiley - dontpanic it is not alive. just a little something that I think you might like.

I will send it after the Bank Holiday.

Have a good weekend,

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 3

tartaronne

Beautiful description. I've never been any further from Denmark than Turkey.

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 4

Very dear Websailor smiley - dragon

You spoil me my smiley - love

A beautiful bouquet of flowers for my birthday and sow a lovely surprise!. Thank you so much.

I hope you are also reading Phred's Fireclouds thread. Called I believe Off to a wet start - and there quite a lot of his friends have sent in photos of their bird tables - sometimes very elaborate. And also of the wildlife they find in their gardens. I have also suggested they go to your thread.

Sadly we could not go to London today as K. was not well enough to do the heavy work of p[ushing me. My eldest son and his wife are supposed to be coming out for supper - and bringing it!!. I hope they arrive. It is now 5 30. [.m.

With much affection

Christiane AR1 smiley - schooloffish

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 5

Tres chere Tartaroone, big smiley - hug

So we meet in America and now we meet again here!.

Did you enjoy Turkey? As much as the Massif Centrale? (I hope not!!)

An extraordinary thing happened to us in Istanbul. We were on a French cruise ship called the Mermoz. We went on an organised tour and went to the famous Blue Mosque. Obviously one had to take off one's shoes, and then walk through this quite extraordinarily beautiful mossque. Dick, my late husband, wore glasses - in fact he wqs blind in one eye. When we got back to the ship he found that he no longer had his glasses. Do you inow that literally an hour later
someone arrived on board ship and they had pciked up his glasses insie the Blue Mosque.

I foudn the people so incredibly honest in Instanbul. I had a hadnbag that did not have a very good clasps - and it kept springing open. I was amazed when a man approached me and remakred, bery kindly
"Madame, your handbag is open"

I was also amazed at the number of religious Christian motifs which were on many of the old buildings.
It is such a tragedy that is being unfolded in that part of the world.

Great to meet you again, and I am sure you will enjoy this thread as much as I do.

Toute affection
They are here.
Must smiley - run
Christiane smiley - schooloffish
No editing apologies!

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 6

Hypatia

Our mimosas have pink flowers. I would enjoy seeing the South African variety.

*goes off in search of a photo*

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 7

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

My dear Christiane,

Do you have a birthday coming up shortly? smiley - gift

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 8

Hi ZSFLovely to hear from you.!"

No my birthday is in May!!

Hope you and little smiley - fish are well.

So much troubel with the computer. It breaks my heart - well not really but still!

Much smiley - love

Christiane. smiley - schooloffish

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 9

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Oh, smiley - blush Christiane - I obviously misread post 4. When in May is your birthday?

Yes, both little smiley - fish and I are well.

Did you sort out your problems with the loo seat? Would you believe that mine has a similar problem now?

Is your computer problem just with e-mail, or is it wider?

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 10

smurfles

I am curious now that i have read your posting AR1.It brought back a childhood memory,(of which i don't have many).I recall buying mimosa in bouquets of flowers,i,m positive that 's what it was,but seeing the name of the beautiful flower made me realise i haven't seen it for many years.If i remember correctly it used to leave a yellow powder behind as it died.
Another reminder of childhood days!!!smiley - hug

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 11

Hypatia

Here are photos of the type of mimosa trees that are common in my area.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1764/index.html
http://indianspringherbs.com/Mimosa_Tree.htm

I'm not sure if this is the type you are familiar with or not.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1390/

The worst thing about the variety we have is that they only live about 20 years and then begin splitting and causing a mess. But they are lovely and fast growing.

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 12

Hi ZSF <bluefish),

Well, your running repairs to the loo seat lasted for about a few days and then it came apart - as we thought it would.!

I had to call in the experts and nearly died when they charged ne £97 for buying a new, very ordinary loo seat and for fixing it.!! It definitely is better to be a plumber, or an electrician nowadays. !!

Glad your new brace is comfortable. also that your Toastmistress 1oth speech went well. Are you going to the autumb neet? Fbinab abd Azara are going to be coming over. I hope that I am able to see them again as I do not think that I shall be going to the evening do.
Much affection
Christiane. AR1 smiley - schooloffish

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 13

Hi smufles,

You are right about the fragrance of the mimosa. they used to sell big bundles of it at the flower market.
The one I am talking about is a wild shrubby tree that has large malevolent thorns on it. But the fragrance of mimosa transports me straight back to my childhood.
Lovely to hear from you.
smiley - love

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 14

Hi Hypatia

I see that there are a great many different mimosa. I am sure that our thorny south Africa Doring Boom does not grow anywhere else, although I notice that prickly pears do grow in your dry counties.

I seem to remember that our little Acacia Karoo also exuded a sort of sticky glue. I wonder if it is good for anything. I do not think that I would have one in my garden!!

We are having a special afternoon meet in one of the parks or Nature Reserve. I am really looking forward to it.

Go well

Christiane smiley - schooloffish

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 15

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

needs spring...wonders if there is not Catholic* Saint of Spring!

* I am not Catholic nor was I rised Catholic. I was rised Protestant.

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 16

Hi pheloxi,

Nice to hear from you.

Well, I guess that the closest person to being a Patron Saint of flowers is St. Francis of Assisi. He lived in the 13th century and was a quite remarakable man. He loved nature and animals and is often pictured with a bird resting on his hand and several on his shoulder. He was also the first person to advocate leaving a ring of wild flowers round a newly ploughed fiedld. so in effect he was the first person who advocated not totally destroying Mother Nature in order to plough up the land for cultivation. His theory was that we should share the land with theanimals. Very wise man he was.

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 17

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

very wise and remarakable

wonders if they can make Gaudi the Patron Saint of modern architecture.

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 18

Websailor

Christiane, Is your Loo Seat and Loo a special one? If a 'bog standard' (excuse that I couldn't resist!) one then that is an astronomical amount to have to pay.

Worried you are being ripped offsmiley - grr

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 19

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Hi Christianesmiley - love

Plumers smiley - grr - yes = I know exactly what you mean? I would have got you one at cost and fitted it for free for you! I had a washing machine fitted and it needed one bit of tubing and a connector - he charged me £150 for it (having initially quoted £65 plus parts - then said it would cost more as he had to go to the plumbing supply shop for the tubing). I know I *should* have told him where to get off and got someone else in.

Mimosas in the Karroo

Post 20

Hypatia

When it comes to plumbers, I am a lucky woman. I have an honest one who lives nearby, does good work, doesn't overcharge and comes quickly when I need him. So they do exist. smiley - smiley

If I could find a mechanic for my car who fits the same profile, I'd be all set.

Key: Complain about this post