A Conversation for Australia: The Confusing Country

The Australian Questions

Post 1

Researcher 32143

What is a larrakin?
Why do Australians work in every Irish pub in London?
Why won't my boomerang come back?

Good Page by the way!

The Australian Questions

Post 2

fst

What is a larrakin?
A fool - part of Australian mythology - a joker, a story-teller, a complete and utter idiot.

Why do Australians work in every Irish pub in London?
The Irish love beer nearly as much as Australians. Lots of people have Irish ancestry.

Why won't my boomerang come back?
It is probably a stick.

The Australian Questions

Post 3

Researcher 32143

My particular interest in your page stems from an invite to those far distant shores. A goodaymate from Newcastle is encouraging me to fly thither.
Just how big are those Wombats?
How bad is that beer?
And will I ever come back?

The Australian Questions

Post 4

Researcher 53879

Ahh, home...

It's true, all true. Especially the bit about the wombat (where do people get these stories from?!).

It made me homesick - nice tale.

The Australian Questions

Post 5

poyda

Wombats are as big as the story demands and they tend to fulfil most demands.

Really bad Australian beer can cause a drinker to exclaim, 'Jeez, this is like pommy beer!' This cry is only rarely heard because most drinkers try to avoid being thrown out by the landlord, his/her spouse or the pub dog. An insult as extreme as this will inevitably end with a face plant in the red dirt outside the front door with any change left on the bar forfeit.

You probably will due to the near impossibility of getting a visa but you won't want to. Those not going home have recently been turned in to felonies. Yes, I know, but the press has whipped a storm over a few unfortunates in leaky boats with nowhere else to go where they won't get shot, calling them 'illegals'. It looks like the many thousands who have overstayed their visas may get caught up in the hysteria - Sorry!

The Australian Questions

Post 6

Researcher 150978

>>Why won't my boomerang come back?

First you have to throw it.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more