This is the Message Centre for Hypoman

the Phantom Hounds guy

Post 1

Jamie of the Portacabin

Hello! OK, I'm not very good at intros so I'll just get to it...

You edited my entry a little while ago on phantom hounds and I just wanted to point out/as you about one or two editorial things.

First, the following sentence:

Cwm Annwn, who may also have been the original source for the legend of Herne the Hunter, and his pack of ethereal white dogs *who* supposedly terrorised the countryside, according to Welsh myth.

That 'who' in asterisks shouldn't be there. Just something I noticed.
Second, it's a minor point but where it says "In the British Isles they are referred to as" I'm pretty sure refered should only have one 'r'.

And lastly, I was just wondering why the second example of celtic hound legends was dropped from the second paragraph. If anything I would have thought it fit in better than the other one but honestly I don't see why we can't keep them both.

The original's at http://www.h2g2.com/A389810 if you need it.

Thanks a lot for your time and if it's too late to do anything about this stuff I understand. See you,

Jamie

the Phantom Hounds guy

Post 2

Hypoman

Hi Jamie!

To deal with your points in order:-

1. I agree with you completely on the 'who' thing. As far as I know this wasn't in the version I passed to the Towers, and so must have been added in post-editing, as the relevant editor read the sentence quickly and failed to make sense of it. I do see that it makes much more sense your way, however.

"Referred" as spelled is correct, according to the ninth edition of the Concise Oxford Dictionary (p. 1153).

The second example of Celtic hound legends, by which I presume you mean this one:-

"Arawn, the Lord of Winter, and his 'hounds of hell' supposedly flew off by night in search of human souls."

I haven't actually seen this before, I don't think, although I may be wrong on that. I'll recommend it be reinstated, however, as I can't see it doing any harm to the finished article.

Regards,

H.

the Phantom Hounds guy

Post 3

Jamie of the Portacabin

Thanks loads for sorting that stuff out for me!

I was just wondering if I could ask one more favour of you? I know how busy you sub-eds are so feel free to say no but I was wondering if you wouldn't mind checking over the five entries in my university of life project for me. I need to make sure they're up to editorial standarss before I finalise the whole thing...

They're at:
www.h2g2.com/A470882
www.h2g2.com/A455780
www.h2g2.com/A449651
www.h2g2.com/A446726
www.h2g2.com/A429301

If you've got time could you please post any major changes in their respective entries? If you haven't got time I understand. Thanks alot,

Jamie smiley - ghost

the Phantom Hounds guy

Post 4

Hypoman

No worries, Jamie! I'd be pleased to take a look...smiley - smiley.

the Phantom Hounds guy

Post 5

Jamie of the Portacabin

What news Hypo me-old-skip-matey? Anything going down in the 'hood? smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Hypoman

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more