A Conversation for Murphy's Law

A motor powered by bread and a cat?

Post 1

ZekeG4

Hip:

Since buttered toast always falls on o the buttered side, if you strapped a big piece of toast on a cat, which alway falls on it's feet, it would turn indefinetly without touching the ground. The result:

A non energy powered motor!!

Post 2

Bez (arguaby the finest figure of a man ever found wearing Bez's underwear) <underpants>

Yes, that would be an inexpensive motor, but I think we can improve upon it. Imagine, if you will, a vehicle hovering magestically powered by the spinning cat/toast. Surrounding the vehicle are tanks full of spagetti sauce. With this simple addition, we can now move the vehicle by guiding it with a long pole with a clean, freshly ironed white shirt, because as we all know, tomato sauce is invariably attracted towards a cean, white shirt.

Bez.

Post 3

Santragenius V

smiley - laugh - smiley - ok

Post 4

Laura

Great stuff! Got to feel sorry for the cat, though. Eventually it's going to get dizzy and so not know which way up is the right way up. Consequently the motor will stop working. Some way of preventing the cat from becoming dizzy is necessary. I can't think of any way to acheve this at present. It could take some work. Apart from that small glitch, however, you have discovered the secret of perpetual motion.

Post 5

zkptn

One way to overcome the dizziness factor would be to use a dead cat. I know this would be very cruel and extremely un-PC and i mean no harm to cats on a personel level, i'm just thinking of the good of all mankind etc.
Also.... placing a dead cat at the heart of such a cat/toast motor would also result in substansial savings in cat food and kitty litter bills.
And vets bills.

We could add an afterburner booster. A mock up of an outstretched hand holding a wormer pill could be fixed on a lever, hinged to swing down into the cats peripheral vision whenever a burst of power was needed. This afterburner pack would, of course, only work with the less efficient 'live' model.

Cat lovers of the world unite.

Post 6

Laura

I'm no sure that the cat always landing on feet truism extends to dead cats. I suppose the motor could be put in a box. Then the cat will of course be both alive and dead and therefore solve both problems (or make both worse, possibly both at once). As for the speed boost, maybe a niff of catnip would do the trick. Or the noise of the fridge door opening.

Post 7

SALAMANDAPALAGANDA 2006

All good ideas but i have thought about once you have got the motor running how do you stop it?? The answer was quite simple you put a sign on it saying "GARUNTEED FIRST TIME STARTER" and then that is when `Murphies Law` comes back into the equation..hahahahaha

Post 8

Laura

smiley - laugh
Making it start again would be a problem, though.

Post 9

SALAMANDAPALAGANDA 2006

Thought about that..put it on a street
near where i live with BMW stickers on it..the car thieves would have it started in seconds..hahhahha

Post 10

Laura

Neat idea. smiley - biggrin I wonder what effect - 'warning this vehicle has been installed with an alarm' stickers would have as well. Or maybe the cat's ticklish.

Post 11

Gardener

In devising perpetum mobile of the nature described herein , we have to take broader picture of interaction between living species into account.
Firstly,perpetum mobile that works without any input of energy per se doesn't exist.But the world is full of energy.Our world is simply made of it. The fact that hypothetical perpetum mobile is material (that is to say made of the matter) alreay sugests that potentially it contains energy enough to ensure its proper functioning.
So the question is how to funnel this energy into some usefull dynamic action.Thus, there arises the need to consider devising or employing certain triggers that release energy and the functionality of which is persistent enough.
My premise is that the psychic matter and/or its linguistical ramifications is a good place to look at.(With the view to that I will refrain from commenting upon certain bread-and-butter models of perpetum mobile propounded by other researchers in that forum)
To put in a nutshell,we have to ensure conflicting interaction of phychic matter and to make a proper use of it.
I have been pondering upon the subject for quite a while now. For the convenience of furhter descriptions my model will be accorded the denomination Perpetum Mobile(PM) TYPE 3. My best idea to date on the subject is as follows:
Component parts:
1.Treadmill of a reasonable size,
2. Gears and instalations to transmit energy to applcations of PM TYPE 3
Moving parts:
3. 1 Large dog (shepherd dog will do)
4. 1 cat of ferocious and uneasy frame of mind
Components 3 and 4 are to be contained in the space provided by the inner side of the treadmill.

This researcher though anxiosly desirous of putting his PM TYPE 3 to test concedes that so far his resources have been insufficient to facilitate that. And component parts 3 and 4 that presently are at his desposal hardly match specifcations required of them. (In fact they are dealing with each other quite normally, without any outbursts of violence). And though admitting that conflicting entities are precursors of progress and by no means reneging on dialectical nature of development , this researcher is unlikely to test the feasibility of his proposals in the forseeble future primarily for the reasons of high standards of morality and ethics that he (still) adheres to.

However, those who are anxious to check his ideas, should take a note of the fact that component part 4 is fragile and unlikely to last long, so researchers should stock sufficient amount of aforementioned component in advance. From that resercher's viewpoint(mine, that is)the fact is the only incnvenience that is likely to hamper the succesfull work of the engine, and as such it puts limits to the natural question of whether it is appropriate to call the gadget-perpetum mobile Type 3 (or 1 or 2 for that reason).
Those who are tempted to experiment with component parts 3 and 4 of more even and/or more enduring nature (like two bulls in a china shop, or a bull and red rag) apart from facing unsuperable problems of harnessing their energy to a good cause, also should consider subtle philosophical underpinings of omnicrushing- rhinocerous -and- uncrushable wall paradigm, which can only be resolved in a blind alley of our thoughts.
Such considerations are partly putting me off from furhter elaborations upon the subject.And partly evoke certain thoughts that the subject is not as mundane as it seems to be, since solving the insolvable falls down the same category as Captain Ahab persuing Moby Dick. And I don't think that the Murhy's Law will be of any help here.
I cursorily mentioned somewhere that the problem exists also on another plane , namely in the stratum of "linquistical ramifications" as begotten by the inceasant work of psychic matter of humans,and it is to be regarded (whatever that might be) as a very important trigger that is capable of releasing truly unmeasurable amounts of energy.
However, what matters is that a perpetum mobile keeps us all in perpetual mobility.

Post 12

SALAMANDAPALAGANDA 2006

I bet you couldn`t repeat all that in English without looking at what you have written..i think i`ll stick to the cat and toast..are any of them words real words??

Post 13

SALAMANDAPALAGANDA 2006

I bet you couldn`t repeat all that in English without looking at what you have written..i think i`ll stick to the cat and toast..are any of them words real words??

Post 14

Gardener

I'm just checking if it is easier to write with convoluted phraseology or to use normal lanquage. It looks like the first option is simpler for me... However, if you think I was keeping it to far beyond understanding, try that website: www.trans-psych.org.uk,and you will see that even my writing is as clear as a day to a night.

Key: Complain about this post