This is the Message Centre for cafram - in the states.

I'm off

Post 1

cafram - in the states.

My visa arrived two days ago, I guess that means I can go! It's taking me about three days to get to DC, via Japan and LA - about 20 hours in each smiley - yuk.

Be good, look after the place, I'm sure I'll pop my head through at some point.

smiley - ok

I'm off

Post 2

King Cthulhu of Balwyniti

20 hours in Japan and LA each? That should give you *plenty* of time to pop your head in smiley - winkeye Hope you have a bearable trip and lots of fun terrorising little American kiddies once you get there smiley - winkeyesmiley - monstersmiley - chocsmiley - hug

I'm off

Post 3

cafram - in the states.

yes yes. now where's my email?

I'm off

Post 4

Avenging Washcloth, An unhurried sense of time is, in itself, a form of wealth.

Hey, Cafram! smiley - hug

Welcome to The States ... wherever you are. smiley - tongueout

Whatcha been up to? smiley - smiley

I'm off

Post 5

King Cthulhu of Balwyniti

It's at the end of my thesis, due in tomorrow smiley - tongueout

I'm off

Post 6

cafram - in the states.

...which is now yesterday. Have you started the thesis yet...? smiley - tongueout

Hey AW! smiley - biggrin I'm in DC, but spent memorial day weekend rock climbing in West Virginia. I have another couple of days here and then am heading up to Boston before I go to New Hampshire. Today or tomorrow I'm going to do the touristy thing and take photos of the white house and all that sort of stuff, you know, check them off the list. smiley - smiley

I'm off

Post 7

DC is definitely worth a look. Ancient Rome is alive and well in the architecture there ... we're carrying on the tradition. smiley - winkeye

West-by-God-Viginia? smiley - yikes You were almost in Ohio ... within yards of me! smiley - tongueout

smiley - winkeye

I'm off

Post 8

cafram - in the states.

The speak funny in West Virginia! I, on the other hand, have no funny accent whatsoever smiley - winkeye
I did notice the prevalence of passages from the bible on the side of passing semis and thought it a little odd...smiley - erm

I'm off

Post 9

*We* think they speak funny in West Virginia! I've turned down suitors based on that nasty accent smiley - yuk ... *I*, on the other hand, have no accent whatsoever. Unlike you. smiley - winkeye

Bible passages? smiley - erm It wasn't me! smiley - yikes... I put beer graphics on semis! smiley - tongueout

I'm off

Post 10

cafram - in the states.

I'm sure you do - that's brilliant! smiley - laugh

I was somehow conned into stopping at a Dairy Queen on the way back to DC (a six-and-a-half hour drive with traffic smiley - yuk)...they even make McDonalds look appealing. I thought I'd be safe with fries (how can you stuff up fries?!), but apparently that was too much to ask. smiley - headhurts I'm hereby swearing off all hamburger chains.

I'm off

Post 11

Generally, the only hamburger chain worth your money is Wendy's ... they serve everything fresh and hot, not microwaved. Although, I cannot vouch for their fries. They're edible, at least. smiley - laugh I'm not much of a french fry fan, so don't ask me! smiley - tongueout

Rule #1: Whatever can be stuffed at a fast food chain, will be.

I'm off

Post 12

Rule #2: Never order anything at Dairy Queen that isn't dairy. smiley - tongueout

I'm off

Post 13

Rule #3: *Never* order a burger at Burger King. smiley - yuk Everything else they serve is deadly. smiley - winkeye

I'm off

Post 14

cafram - in the states.

But even the dairy didn't look appealing! I guess my biggest problem is that I don't like meat, so the nasty-looking hamburgers didn't look even a little bit tasty smiley - erm

I'm off

Post 15

Ah, I see the problem. smiley - erm Vegetarian eating is difficult in US restaurants, although many are making an effort to accomodate weirdos such as yourself these days. smiley - tongueout

There's a new chain called "Chipotle" that is rumored to be excellent with vegetarian Mexican, although they are hard to find. smiley - erm

Have you considered fasting? smiley - huh

smiley - winkeye

I'm off

Post 16

http://www.chipotle.com/

That's their website. You may be able to find one that's convenient to you during your travels, Caf. smiley - smiley

I'm off

Post 17

My search turned up nothing in DC. smiley - erm There seem to be scads of them in Maryland, though.

I'm off

Post 18

No wait! There are quite a lot of these restaurants in the DC area. I don't know my way 'round there, but I know you're handy with a map. smiley - ok

I'm off

Post 19

smiley - erm

I meant no offense by the smiley - weirdo comment ... smiley - grovel

I'm off

Post 20

cafram - in the states.

I'm not weird, I'm just fussy! smiley - tongueout

I may go investigating today...I usually try and avoid chains, just because I don't like the plastic sameness of their food. Sometimes it's the only reliable way to find a decent feed though - starbucks has become my savior for good coffee - it seems the people at dunkin donuts (everyone here *raves* about their coffee smiley - erm)
a. can't understand me when I say 'coffee please', and
b. don't know how to make coffee.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for cafram - in the states.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more